19 replies to this topic

#1 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

Still more questions.. I am looking at the Turbo inlet and want to make a slight change to the housing in this area. The problem is I know from assembling the engine room is tight around rad bottom hose and I'm pretty certain it all comes very close to the cross member on the bulkhead. Does anyone have any pictures of this area? Also how much clearance is there with T3 when bulkhead mod is done?

Thanks

Rob

#2 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:09 AM

The air inlet is easily the tightest area of my build. It presses right up against the firewall and I have my filter coming out the top by the rad so I have a very tight gap to contend with behind the engine and between the rad and firewall.

However, the bulkhead box does give plenty of room around the turbo itself. I did take a photo of my installation but its not a great quality picture and only shows the top of the engine without the carb installed.

Edited by Tommyboy12, 28 January 2021 - 08:12 AM.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:42 AM

Also remember the ERA had a longer stabiliser to push the engine forward and away from the bulkhead.

#4 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:47 PM

The air inlet is easily the tightest area of my build. It presses right up against the firewall and I have my filter coming out the top by the rad so I have a very tight gap to contend with behind the engine and between the rad and firewall.

However, the bulkhead box does give plenty of room around the turbo itself. I did take a photo of my installation but its not a great quality picture and only shows the top of the engine without the carb installed.

This is my worry, my guess is its all very close in that area.. Good to know there is plenty of room around the turbo. 

#5 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

Also remember the ERA had a longer stabiliser to push the engine forward and away from the bulkhead.

Did not know about that.. Is that the stabiliser on the LH side engine top to cross member? 

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:20 AM

Did not know about that.. Is that the stabiliser on the LH side engine top to cross member? 

Yes.

#7 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:35 AM

I used an adjustable top steady and probably added about 1cm in length between a nat asp 1275 and a turbo application. Pushed then engine forward a couple of degrees which helped with install and carb clearance

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

I'm glad I did mine in an MPi subframe, it moved the engine forward 13mm and then i leaned the engine forward. Loads of room!

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

Can we go by your user name?

How about a front mounted radiator? That'd give you lots more space. 

#10 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:46 AM

It will be going into a clubman so there is a lot more room up front, I considered the front mount rad and after lots of searches decided to stick with original position. The design i have done for new connection of inlet to turbo is small and should fit, but there is a lot of guessing going on.. Its just not the kind of picture you can find on the net. 

#11 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:47 AM

I'm glad I did mine in an MPi subframe, it moved the engine forward 13mm and then i leaned the engine forward. Loads of room!

Again I had no idea the later subframe moved the engine forward, Is this just the MPI subframe? My subframe came from a much later mini but not MPI. 

#12 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

I used an adjustable top steady and probably added about 1cm in length between a nat asp 1275 and a turbo application. Pushed then engine forward a couple of degrees which helped with install and carb clearance

This sounds like a good way of getting a little more room, This engine is 998 so shorter height i think, hope this doesn't make the carb even worse to fit. 

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:50 AM

It will be going into a clubman so there is a lot more room up front, I considered the front mount rad and after lots of searches decided to stick with original position. The design i have done for new connection of inlet to turbo is small and should fit, but there is a lot of guessing going on.. Its just not the kind of picture you can find on the net. 

Fair enough, I have a front rad in my plaggy car & it's a close, but manageable fit by the subframe tower with a silicone reducer elbow. The reducer elbow definitely helps, the casting thickness of the turbo housing adds a fair amount of diameter above that of the actual inlet.

#14 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

Fair enough, I have a front rad in my plaggy car & it's a close, but manageable fit by the subframe tower with a silicone reducer elbow. The reducer elbow definitely helps, the casting thickness of the turbo housing adds a fair amount of diameter above that of the actual inlet.

I have put some pictures of what i plan to make to improve the connection. But the problem i have is will it really fit.. The new section removes the original actuator bracket and hose connection. So the new unit blots strait to the turbo compressor housing, this should give more room, the hose connection going out will be steel tube to start so i can alter the angle as required. It all sits within the same dimension as the compressor housing but without having the engine in a car I cant be certain it will fit 

any comments of fitting welcome - 

[attachment=211674:1 trim.png]  

Edited by Project_1275_GT, 31 January 2021 - 10:06 AM.

#15 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:49 PM

Again I had no idea the later subframe moved the engine forward, Is this just the MPI subframe? My subframe came from a much later mini but not MPI. 

I believe SPi onwards it moved it forward to clear the inlet manifold and air box.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users