Photo

Fuel Pump For Turbo (Probably With Injection)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 09:28 PM

Can anyone see any issue with this layout?

Standard mini tank (non injection), gravity feeding a swirlpot under the boot floor, in turn feeding a high pressure pump under the boot floor.

Return coming back to the swirl pot.

#2 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:34 AM

There are people better placed to answer this but if it's a saloon I would just change to an MPI tank and be done with it.
Mines a pickup so I have to go the route you've written.
Dont you need a vent back to the tank from the swirl pot as well?

#3 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 12:26 PM

^^^ this, its the easiest and simplest way, you can also use the SPI tank, but the consensus is the pump needs swaping out as it will only make about 12psi. you can use any in tank injection pump,

or any external injecton pump if your stuck with a normal tank.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

The fuel outlet's a bit on the small side, but what you suggest would probably work if you bleed any air out of the pot and don't let the tank run empty.

People have run successfully with the return from the pressure regulator just tee'd in the pump's inlet. One with threaded unions would make that easier.

#5 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:52 PM

The fuel outlet's a bit on the small side, but what you suggest would probably work if you bleed any air out of the pot and don't let the tank run empty.

Yes, that's a bit of a concern. It needs to feed about 125bhp's worth of fuel under gravity. Although I suppose nothing is ever at full power for very long and the swirl pot is a buffer.

If I though the tank would feed enough without a swirl pot I would just tap into the tank and plumb the return direct to the tank.

#6 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:53 PM

People have run successfully with the return from the pressure regulator just tee'd in the pump's inlet. One with threaded unions would make that easier.

I'm a bit wary of that due to fuel heating - under light load the same volume of fuel goes round and round the circuit.

#7 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 11:18 AM

The point about the outlet being too small was an issue I had with one of my 16v swaps many years ago, if memory serves me right i removed the standard supply pipe out of the tank which had the built in filter, replaced it with a bit of 8mm pipe bent to the same shape, then installed an inline filter before the fuel pump. I also think I moved and increased the return but left the vent pipe where it was. It was quite a long time ago, however it gave me no problems.

My last turbo ran an MPI tank with no problems and is the route to go I think. Tried and tested many times.

#8 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:36 PM

thanks Tomm.

Did you braze a bigger outlet onto the tank or just fit bigger fuel hose the existing outlet?

#9 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:10 PM

thanks Tomm.
Did you braze a bigger outlet onto the tank or just fit bigger fuel hose the existing outlet?

I replaced the whole lot. That little section that hangs out the tank is only a tiny bit of the pipe. Cut the outlet flush, run a drill bit into the remaining hole the size of your 8mm pipe O/D. Then you can pull the pick up pipe out. I copied the bend into a bit of 8mm I/D tube and welded it in. Fitting a larger hose over the existing pipe won't solve the problem. The restriction of the pickup pipe being too small will still cause you issues in a standard tank.

However a standard MPI tank and pump should be adequate for what you need unmodified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users