#1 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

Hi folk.

Can any body suggest one please, doesnt have to seal, more so create the spacing between the lid and the boot. Suspect it will need to be fitted to the body rather than the lid?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

The standard one that connects to the shell.

#3 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:49 PM

Ah ok thanks. Seems like a very stupid question now but my Minis boot seal was fitted to the boot which I assumed was correct. 

Thank you.

#4 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:27 PM

It depends on the age of your car and what boot lid you have.

From ‘59-‘88-ish they had the seal attached the to the boot lid with metal clips and the rest of production had the seal attached to the body. I imagine they change to the later seal because it’s a lot quicker to fit than the early type.

I like Phoenix Trim for seals and what not. https://phoenixtrim....i-shop-67-c.asp

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:36 PM

Ah ok thanks. Seems like a very stupid question now but my Minis boot seal was fitted to the boot which I assumed was correct. 

Thank you.

Yep and it fits into holes in the boot lid. You won’t be fitting that to a single skin lid.

#6 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:48 PM

Maccmike8 what type of boot lid to you actually have and how are you planning on securing it?

If it literally just a fibreglass outer skin then the spacing from the body is normally set by the pins or clips it’s secured by.

Edited by Tupers, 28 February 2021 - 09:52 PM.

#7 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

#8 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:58 PM

Maccmike8 what type of boot lid to you actually have and how are you planning on securing it?

If it literally just a fibreglass outer skin then the spacing from the body is normally set by the pins or clips it’s secured by.

Single skin carbon with gelcoat outer.

Ive got a mk1 handle and a carbon fibre lever for single skins to allow locking frm Arc angels http://www.the-arc-a...&product_id=213

#9 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:16 PM

Ah I see.

I would use a perimeter you self adhesive foam rubber on the boot lid rather than a late type seal. https://www.carbuild...strip-per-metre

The standard seal can cause problems as the single skin panels can be quite flexible and the standard seal need a bit of pressure to work so it can actually end up pushing the single skin boot lid away from the car.
It took me a few seals and a fair bit of head scratching before I settled on self adhesive foam rubber for a car I did years ago.

#10 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:26 PM

Ah I see.

I would use a perimeter you self adhesive foam rubber on the boot lid rather than a late type seal. https://www.carbuild...strip-per-metre

The standard seal can cause problems as the single skin panels can be quite flexible and the standard seal need a bit of pressure to work so it can actually end up pushing the single skin boot lid away from the car.
It took me a few seals and a fair bit of head scratching before I settled on self adhesive foam rubber for a car I did years ago.

Youre a star thank you. Did you go all the way around or just in places? You got any piccys?

Edited by Maccmike8, 28 February 2021 - 10:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users