#1 overboost

overboost

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: Plymouth

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

Just did a few service items on my mini 998cc with stage1 fitted, and since there seems to be a problem when the revs are coming down and you accelerate again it bogs down. Could this be too little fuel?

Its got electronic ignition and the dizzy cap was replaced as well as leads (bosch) and plugs (bosch super4).
It will occasionally run smoothly and responsive, but most of the time it feels restricted.
The vacuum advance pipe end was split so Ive replaced this but I dont think that has any effect whilst driving?

Any ideas?

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:41 AM

well, firstly you don't need the super 4 ultra superduper plugs in there, get some NGK BPR6ES.

Sounds fuelling related, My first port of call would be thinking the Needle is wrong, but,... you didn't replac andy fuelling parts, so it could well be timing.

check everything is secure inside the dizzy, this is the prob with leccy, if it goes wrong, it's not as easy to fix like points and condensers.... which is a straight swap affair.

Have you just fitted the stg1 kit????

#3 overboost

overboost

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

No the stage1 kit has been on there for about a year and running fine before. Reason I changed the plugs and leads was because it had a small misfire and was hesitant like it is now, no signs of head gasket failure, compression is fine etc.

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

You *could* have an air leak somewhere, check the fanimold gasket and exhaust joins. Perhaps your coil is breaking up on you, that can cause symptoms similar to this!

#5 Amber Hughes

Amber Hughes

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Zone and Retro Car Club

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

hope you get it sorted out soon babe, we both love that little car lol
Sound slike good advice but is it helping hunny?

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:28 AM

How long you had the electronic ignition on there? (Am thinking along the lines of ballast/non-ballast igntion).

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:29 AM

Good thinking jammy!

#8 overboost

overboost

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

The electronic ignition has been fitted since I bought the car a month ago, but it was fitted for a long time before because I knew the car, it has been running really smoothly until the start of the weekend. I have adjusted the fuel and idle settings on the carb, and the holding back I would put down to the fuel as with this increased the car is a lot smoother then before.

However a few times when driving for about 5-10 minutes at a constant 60/70mph and when slowing down with the clutch engaged the engine will cut out. It re-starts without any problems though.

And another small problem I found when driving was that at the traffic lights around town the car would not have any revs when the throttle was pressed to move away it would hesitate and you would need to pump the pedal and get the revs to pick up again... did this a couple of times but seems to have stopped now (touch wood).

Any more advice greatly appreciated...

**EDIT: Have since adjusted the mixture/idle etc on a krypton tune machine and it seems to be running a lot better. The throttle linkage was also sticking slightly and was not returning to idle correctly. Will see how it goes...

Edited by overboost, 06 November 2006 - 12:07 PM.

#9 theoldtartspimp

theoldtartspimp

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Local Club: minis unlimited & sw-pc

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

does sound like a fueling issue before i had my 1275 rolling roaded it was the same have you got a good air filter or a cheapy the cheapys can be more restrictive than a standard panel filter as so as they find the smallest bit if dirt
i live near some muddy country roads and the amount of dirt and dust in the filter when i take a shortcut through them is unreal after about 10 trips down them the filter looks brown 20 and its starting to look flithy
might be worth cleaning the filter try that if not have you done the tappets why mate 998 played up like this after lots of fecking around we found it was the tappets

#10 overboost

overboost

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

Its the standard bolt on filter (stainless/paper i think) that you get with the stage1 kits... I did clean it though with the correct oils and also got a airline to it as well. Not restricting airflow I dont think however I may buy a K&N to replace it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users