6 replies to this topic

#1 blackpanthermini

blackpanthermini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

Put a engine steady bear onto my mini recently, worked a treat but i did notice when a was putting it on that the bar was touching up against a piece of black piping that was coming from a cylinder shaped thing and then piped up to the carb, my question is what is the cylinder shaped item that is coming from the block any help appreciated, as it has left the mini out of action for the past fews days!!!

#2 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

That is part of the breather system that stops too much pressure building up in the crankcase!

If its not connected to the carb and left open then the carb may draw in too much air and run lean !!

None of this should stop the car from starting and running though !

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

it's an engine breather, if it's in the way, a few careful knocks with a soft hammer will move it out the way enough.

**agrees with what grayedout sais, sorry.... didn't know if you'd left it off or not.**

Edited by Retro_10s, 04 November 2006 - 08:24 PM.

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

that pipe is the crank case breather i do believe. Either that or the heater.

Other end should be connected to the carb. Take the pipe off the carb quick and she if she starts. If she does (be running lean so choke will be needed to get it started) then turn off the engine and re-route the pipe so its less kinked.

edit.

what the hell- damn too slow. :D

edit

grey man has a point tho. unless your car was running badly to begin with. with the pipe blocked it would be running VERY rich due to an air supply being blocked.

Edited by Big_Adam, 04 November 2006 - 08:28 PM.

#5 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

have u checked the rotor arm and cap? these can cause non starting on cold days. just a quick check for wear and chalky deposits will do. if they are worn then get some new ones. worth a try!

#6 blackpanthermini

blackpanthermini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:41 PM

Thanks all, im going out to beat it out of the way with a softish hammer lol and reconect the pipe, ive been hoping that this was all that is wrong with it, but of course the cold really doesnt help minis. All help much appreciated will post again when i come back from garage... :D

#7 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:05 AM

carefull u dont "REMOVE" the breather with the hammer!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users