14 replies to this topic

#1 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

Looking for a set of  standard1098 pistons.

Minispares are out of stock , alternative supplies i have seen are hundreds of pounds or they are from abroad which may be dodgy.

Anyone got any suggestions.

There is a set on ebay of Hepolites at a reasonable price and i am enquiring as to the suitability of these in my 1978 engine

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:27 PM

Tried ESM Minors or any Morris Minor spares supplier? Same engine basically ...

Or FW Thornton's (not the choccy people) ...

Edited by gazza82, 01 May 2021 - 04:29 PM.

#3 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:11 PM

Thorntons are over £400.00 per set so not keen on them.

Been told what i want is  Part number 20397 but not having much luck. These are 4 ring units

One supplier has offered 8G2441 as a replacement that superseded 20397 however these are 5 ring units with a ring near the bottom of the skirt.

These i believe are very old design from the sixties so not suitable for a later 1978 unit.  i was following a set on ebay with 5 rings which confirmed the earlier years

There are some pistons on ebay that look suitable but they only have 3 available

Can someone enlighten me please on the part i need and better still where i can get them sub £200.00

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:25 PM

I looked everywhere about 6 months back. I couldn’t find any in the UK that we’re eith 3 or 4 ring design or a decent price. I eventually found a set of NOS pistons from one of our local MG parts suppliers

#5 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

Do they have to be standard size? If you were to consider boring to +20, there is a set of 4-ring Karl Schmidt pistons available on eBay from a seller in Athens.

#6 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:51 AM

Dont see the point in boring out a perfectly good engine if it is not needed. Cost wise rebore plus oversize pistons would be about the same price as the Thorntons pistons. so no real benofit

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:09 AM

What is wrong with the ones you removed,if indeed there were any fitted in the first place?In the grand scheme £200 is not much,£300 is getting salty.

25 years ago I had my Healey-Sprite 1098 robuilt and pistons were expensive and hard to source then.The rebuilder advised fitting a 1275 but I wanted to retain originality,live and learn.Good hunting,Steve..

#8 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:42 AM

Looking for a set of  standard1098 pistons.

Minispares are out of stock , alternative supplies i have seen are hundreds of pounds or they are from abroad which may be dodgy.

Anyone got any suggestions.

There is a set on ebay of Hepolites at a reasonable price and i am enquiring as to the suitability of these in my 1978 engine

I might have a set from an engine I recently had rebored. I'll have a look shortly. What's the number on top of yours? I'm fairly local to you as well.

#9 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:12 AM

Numbers on the piston are M2007   B38

My engine reconditioner has wire brushed them and they are very pitted around the ring grooves despite engine having only done about 57K. It was extremely Smokey when i bought it.to restore and  having stripped the engine i do not want to risk reusing them for the sake of £200.00 if that is what it cost for replacements.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:33 AM

If the old pistons are scruffy and the engine was smoking, you might be best advised to consider a re-bore and new pistons.
From experience it is never wise to put new pistons into old bores. For the cost of a bit of machining you get peace of mind and a non-smoking engine.

#11 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:41 AM

Set of 4 m2007

Attached Files

#12 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:44 AM

Sorry about the blurry pics.
Message me if any good.

Attached Files

#13 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:03 PM

My engine guy has checked the bores and honed them. There is negligible  wear hence his advice to stay as standard which i agree with. The problem of smoking was down to totally worn out rings which is a common fault. i can understand the scarcity of standard pistons as most bores are by now worn out and need to be rebored.

#14 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 02:00 PM

Better piccie.

Attached Files

#15 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:49 PM

The sets of pistons on ebay from Athens had a photo showing pistons were all plus 40 oversize so i ignored them. On closer inspection one set was  standard but he had used the same plus 40 picture for all of them. Just ordered a standard set at £90.00 plus £26.00 carriage so i think i have solved my problem. Happy with that result

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users