maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 09:20 AM

So today's effort at Big Red,,,,,

KyGV17h.jpg

We walked it first - for our morning work out and to see how it looked, it wasn't at all promising. The sand was quite OK, but somewhat soft, though deeply rutted, some holes and also a nice set of stairs cut in,,,,,, Thanks !

Jack was first up, and on his 5th attempt, he got there !

hZfoB2v.jpg

Good work !

Well, I thought I'd give it a go, up on the first try :D

K90cHO3.jpg

In all fairness, I had done it before along with whole deserts of dune, though considerable smaller than this monster.

It must be the Quaife diff Chris that got you up the hill and those Pommys asked why I wanted a Quaife? 

Edited by maystro, 26 May 2021 - 09:43 AM.

#47 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 26 May 2021 - 12:40 PM

Holy cow that's some trip!

Thanks for posting!

...- Hope you avoided  few mice!

#48 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 May 2021 - 01:22 AM

Here's a short clip of Jack 'fangin' on the Merty Merty road

I'll update some more on the thread shortly. Sadly though, because of the way I started this thread, it's somewhat out of sequence.

#49 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:55 AM

Here's another short video to tie you guys over

#50 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:47 PM

Well done chaps.  Has to be steeper than it looks? 

#51 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:22 PM

That's about a year's mileage for most of us...  The distances in Australia are mind-boggling!

I put together this over-lay - in the same scale - to perhaps put some relatable perspective for you guys, on our latest trip

tq56LAS.jpg

Well done chaps.  Has to be steeper than it looks? 

Cheers Tim !

It does get steeper and softer the further you get up. That you rise 40 metres over about 120 metres may give some perspective to how steep on average it is. In that clip you can hear us panting from walking up it, it takes quite an effort !

#52 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:32 PM

Loving this, what an adventure and the cars look great too.

#53 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:27 PM

I take it you're back now Chris?  How far in total was the trip?

#54 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:12 AM

I take it you're back now Chris?  How far in total was the trip?

Well and truly back, paying my repentance this week   :mmkay:

I don't yet have an exact number, but it was around 3 400 miles (5 500 km).

Picking up where I last left off, we drove on South down the Birdsville Track

PmqxkTR.jpg

To a Track that I know ;D

kI5nfL4.jpg

We had to fit our Sand Flags here.

Complete with a Warning Sign (in 5 languages), cautioning that this is quite remote area ' Beyond here there be dragons ', well, the Simpson Desert !

7xHMRoH.jpg

Before long, a Creek Crossing - this one was deep

XXv1F4C.jpg

Almost flowing over the side box.

Both on the other side

SxssvDP.jpg

While Remote, we weren't totally alone

hdV3NxF.jpg

One hump or two ?

Some Sand Plains, this was a fairly small one

77WV4dx.jpg

A bigger one can be seen in the distance here

Cw6A3ki.jpg

Jack needing a stretch

1Ikx4nP.jpg

There was some small dunes we had to cross, on the crest of one here

0gTBBiQ.jpg

Last time a Moke was here was in 1983

1V5LQ2r.jpg

We were only on a look up here and this was as far as we were prepared to go this time, so, with the daylight burning away, we started our return.

Made camp our in the desert

unXl1Ni.jpg

Another sunset to add to our prize collection.

It ain't over yet ;D

#55 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:44 AM

More Great photos.

How much fuel did you carry in between refilling?

#56 Halfpint

Halfpint

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:47 PM

Its so nice out there.

Great pics Spider and Mav.

Something about miles and miles of ...... well , not much, but its so beautiful. And those Night sky's  :shades:

Wish we could travel free as well, I'm on the wrong side of the border though.

HP

Edited by Halfpint, 07 June 2021 - 12:48 PM.

#57 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 02:58 PM

can't help noticing that the before and after creek crossing pictures appear to have been taken on the same side of the creek...

if i were a conspiracy theorist i might think that casts some doubt as to whether any of this actually happened  ;D

#58 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:41 AM

More Great photos.

How much fuel did you carry in between refilling?

Glad you're enjoying the photos of nothing ! Well, wide open spaces, miles and miles of it,,,

We have fitted special long range fuel tanks in these Mokes, The original fuel tank was 25 litres, which doesn't get one far in this place. Our Mokes have a 60 lire main tank + a 40 litre auxiliary tank + a 25 litre Jerry Can on the back, though, I didn't use mine at all on this trip.On this leg between 'drinks' we covered  circa 530 miles (850 km) on a single fill with fuel to spare.

Its so nice out there.

Wish we could travel free as well, I'm on the wrong side of the border though.

HP

isn't it !

Looks like they are opening your gate on Thursday - just in time for your trip !

can't help noticing that the before and after creek crossing pictures appear to have been taken on the same side of the creek...

if i were a conspiracy theorist i might think that casts some doubt as to whether any of this actually happened  ;D

OK, busted. This never really happened, it was done in the back lot of the ABC's Studios,,,,,,

I do have a video of the crossing, I'll get that up once I finish my repentance.

#59 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:28 PM

You were not seriously driving in flip flops were you (or thongs as I think they are called in Australia)?

Would scare me being so far away from civilisation in case things go wrong.  Do you have any back-up or use of phone etc. if the wheels really do come off?

Paul

#60 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:40 AM

OK, busted. This never really happened, it was done in the back lot of the ABC's Studios,,,,,,

I do have a video of the crossing, I'll get that up once I finish my repentance.

This clip is coming back across the River

I gotta say, 'hitting' water this deep is almost like hitting the proverbial brick wall.

You were not seriously driving in flip flops were you (or thongs as I think they are called in Australia)?

Would scare me being so far away from civilisation in case things go wrong.  Do you have any back-up or use of phone etc. if the wheels really do come off?

Paul

I usually do wear covered footwear out there and did so on this trip, though in the desert proper, with the sand, 'Flip Flops' (Thongs as you correctly called them) are actually ideal and is what I tend to wear there. This pic I think your referring to here is of Jack, he's come to live in Australia from The Netherlands (Nertheregions ?   :D  ), after being in the cold for so long, he rarely wears much else, though, he did have a pair of boots there too.

Most these areas we traveled through on this trip are sparse to say the least, but you'll usually get at least one traveler every day or two at worst, all we had this time were normal Cell Phones, which only work in some of the towns (not all) and are little more than a time piece in between. When I do Remote Trips, I do take a Satellite Phone. I don't have it active all the time and so need to get a phone number and have it activated about a month before a trip, it's a bit of a rigmarole so unless we really need it, I don't bother taking it. If 'the wheels really come off' to a point where we can't fix them ourselves, we wait it out. Our folks back home know (roughly!) where we are and approximate days when we should 'check in', so they will raise the alarm, it shouldn't take a search party more than 1 or 2 days to find us on this type of trip, however without wanting to sound over confident or arrogant, the Mokes are prepared to a very high standard and we have parts & tools to fix just about anything other than internal engine / gearbox issues (though we do have a primary gear and a clutch plate). My 'forefathers' from the South Australian Moke Club started doing these types of trips annually since 1969, they certainly had more than there fair share of problems, things that one would not normally have or think of. Our group owes much to them for finding these issues and passing on that info along with their modifications, many on which I have taken and improved upon further. I have confidence in our Mokes, they definitely are not unbreakable and certainly will if one tries hard enough, but I am sure each time they'll bring each of us home safe :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users