Photo
- - - - -

Quaife Atb In A Road Car: Anyone Have First Hand Experience?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 growlerbearnz

growlerbearnz

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Car Club of Auckland

Posted 02 June 2021 - 11:47 PM

You did set the corner weights with mass in the drivers seat? Or mass in the normal use configuration?
Suspension is a dark hole.

Yup. 3/4 a tank of fuel, 80kg on the drivers seat. Though I'd previously equalised the driveshaft angles by mucking about with ride height, so my corner weights were *well* out. Hopefully it's not *that* sensitive that having a passenger will utterly ruin everything.

#32 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 June 2021 - 11:56 PM

You did set the corner weights with mass in the drivers seat? Or mass in the normal use configuration?
Suspension is a dark hole.

Yup. 3/4 a tank of fuel, 80kg on the drivers seat. Though I'd previously equalised the driveshaft angles by mucking about with ride height, so my corner weights were *well* out. Hopefully it's not *that* sensitive that having a passenger will utterly ruin everything.

If you are running rubber cones then you are in better shape than someone running coil springs.

#33 growlerbearnz

growlerbearnz

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Car Club of Auckland

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:45 AM

At the risk of invoking Murphy's Law, I'm declaring Mission Accomplished! 

For those of you playing along at home, here's what worked for me: 

-Raise left side of engine 12mm (5mm steel offset plate under radiator end engine mount, as pictured earlier).
-Tyre pressures 28psi front, 26psi rear (165/70R10 Yokohama A008 on 4.5" ET35 wheels)
-Place very patient friend in drivers seat. Alternatively, an 80 litre bucket of water. 
-Adjust front ride height until both driveshafts are angled (wheel end up) 0.65°
-Adjust rear cones to balance out front corner weights (it didn't take much at all).
-Set front camber to -0.65° (matching driveshaft angle), caster to 3.1°
-Set front Toe Out to 1mm total. 
-Attempt to wear out the differential by driving for an hour on the curviest road you can find. (This was the fun part, learning just how much grip it now has in the corners!) 

Result? Drives in a straight line, even under power. Corners the same in either direction. There's still a slight weave when lifting off at speed, but it's very minor and depends on the road crown. The broken-in diff is much smoother and less grabby when cornering or over uneven/slippery surfaces. 

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with ideas! You've all been super helpful.

Attached File  ALIGNMENT.jpg   48.31K   5 downloads

If you are running rubber cones then you are in better shape than someone running coil springs.

Rubber cones all the way! I've driven a couple of coil sprung Minis and I missed how progressive the rubber cones are.

Edited by growlerbearnz, 03 June 2021 - 05:12 AM.

#34 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:00 AM

Great work, fast, methodical, innovative, well documented. Love the shift in engine weight you have incorporated, first time I have seen this done on a mini. You certainly didn’t muck about as I think they say on your end of the world;-)

#35 Wazzah

Wazzah

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:32 AM

Quaife works fine in my car. The harder and quicker you turn in the better. Get on the power earlier than you dream possible and they just pull in to the apex and they bite. I've got a quick left right over a rise on my way home where I lift a wheel momentarily with a quick spike in revs. I've found that holding it flat with a little left foot braking fixes that and keeps everything smooth. I'm running one degree negative camber and a smidge over 4 degrees castor. Just bought some of the longer tie rod ends to achieve my desired 1.5 neg and 3 degree castor. Running half a degree on the back. 13 inch rims and most importantly Koni classic shocks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users