#1 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

I could have sworn I saw someone on here asking about this unit, but I can't find any mention of it now.

Anyway, I treated myself to this headunit, which seems to be getting fairly famous in classic car circles recently.

My Mini is a 1990 and I like it because it is reminiscent of the Philips radio/cassette that my car would have come with originally (especially when set to orange display), and also of the same era as the car as if it was a period aftermarket fit.  I also can't stand "bling" modern car stereos with tiny fiddly buttons - like the Sony DSX-A400BT one which this is replacing.

I had to shave some of the plastic off the front edges of the hole in the car's mounting to get the cage to fit, but not too bad.  It had one less bit of loom required than the Sony unit too which was good.

The best bit of this for me is that it works with my old Sony steering wheel remote perfectly.

I've got the microphone mounted above the drivers door near the driver's head.  The DAB aerial is in the back window - although I'm hoping to find a better solution than this ugly wee aerial... watch this space.  I've got a USB stick invisibly in the back of it with all my tunes on it, and its working fine with Bluetooth.

Sound quality through the speakers is better than the Sony head unit - despite them both claiming the same power.

Overall I'm delighted, I think it makes the dashboard look generally more original, without losing any of the up to date tech.

Attached Files

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:53 PM

That head unit is so 1990s - and in a good way.  They're a little pricey but I'd be tempted if mine needed replacing.

#3 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:06 PM

This looks really good. I have an early 1990s Rover unit in my 1989 (the closest I could get to the original) but I am tempted to upgrade to this, especially as the current radio doesn't have RDS/retune...

#4 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:14 PM

You can use the existing car Ariel by using a splitter, I have on mine and it works fine.

#5 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:19 PM

You can use the existing car Ariel by using a splitter, I have on mine and it works fine.

Yes I literally installed that this weekend.

It works well, and has also cleaned up the signal quality on fm and am, although the signal is still nowhere near as strong as my daily driver (2018 golf)

I bought this https://incartec.co....tter-to-DAB--FM

Interested to know if anyone has a better option?

#6 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:57 PM

I've tried 2 different splitters now, with not much luck. - this and this

As soon as the car moves, I lose DAB.  I must be doing something wrong, or there must be something wrong with the car, but I don't know what!

I'm also getting very frustrated with the unit itself, its painfully slow to respond - especially if you're a channel-hopper like I am!  Its meant to look retro but with up-to-date tech.  But the tech feels outdated as well to me.

#7 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:52 AM

I'm also getting very frustrated with the unit itself, its painfully slow to respond - especially if you're a channel-hopper like I am!  Its meant to look retro but with up-to-date tech.  But the tech feels outdated as well to me.

If you use regular old FM, or if you use the other functions like Bluetooth and the CD, is it still slow to respond?

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 01:57 PM

Are you still using this head unit Roblightbody?  What's your long term opinion of it?

#9 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:53 AM

Are you still using this head unit Roblightbody?  What's your long term opinion of it?

I gave up with it, and sold it on eBay for very slightly less than I paid for it.

I found it fiddly, frustrating and slow to use, although I couldn't help loving the way it looked at the same time.

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 09:44 PM

I gave up with it, and sold it on eBay for very slightly less than I paid for it.

I found it fiddly, frustrating and slow to use, although I couldn't help loving the way it looked at the same time.

I saw your review on Amazon too.  Thanks for letting us know.  I reckon I'd find it just as frustrating.

#11 Bungleaio

Bungleaio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Not in one.

Posted 25 July 2022 - 04:58 PM

Love the look but they are fiddly.

I have the original head unit in mine which only has power to it. The speakers are connected to an amplifier which has a Bluetooth adapter so I just stream directly from my phone.

#12 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:34 PM

That's a shame. i might have to overhaul my original Blaupunkt Atlanta then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users