Photo

Mini Cooper 35Th Anniversary Gutter

Best Answer cooperd70 , 09 June 2021 - 02:39 PM

Take a look at the Mini 35th brochure available to view here:

http://www.minipassi...s/brochures.htm

I'm viewing on a 'phone so not very clear, but I would suggest the gutter trim was always there.

My car is 1990 and has/had trim from new. Think it was added to the later cars as the seams weren't nice and tidy as very early cars...just like the lack of paint in areas of new cars...all money saving ideas in the last year's of the mini.

Water will drain away under the trim on the pillars...there are holes in the gutter...they are just not lined up very well with the cut-outs in the trim. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CraigM

CraigM

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:22 PM

Hi folks, I've recently bought a Mini Cooper 35th Anniversary in good condition but am trying to take it back to original. I have a couple of questions about the gutter if anyone can help!

1. Mine has a black plastic trim on it which isn't very well secured. Is it meant to be there, or has someone stuck it on?

2. How does the water actually drain? Is it from the four corners at the A and C posts? I can't actually see on mine because of this plastic trim.

Any help appreciated! 👍

#2 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

The plastic trim that was originally fitted was very hard, and in 2 large C shaped pieces on either side of the roof.

If pushed down too hard at the corners, it can block the drain points in the roof's gutter.

The original spec roof trim is no longer available (so look after it if yours is original) and in my experience is light years ahead of the aftermarket trim now available.

#3 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:39 PM   Best Answer

I'm viewing on a 'phone so not very clear, but I would suggest the gutter trim was always there.

My car is 1990 and has/had trim from new. Think it was added to the later cars as the seams weren't nice and tidy as very early cars...just like the lack of paint in areas of new cars...all money saving ideas in the last year's of the mini.

Water will drain away under the trim on the pillars...there are holes in the gutter...they are just not lined up very well with the cut-outs in the trim.

#4 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:39 PM

The plastic trim that was originally fitted was very hard, and in 2 large C shaped pieces on either side of the roof.

If pushed down too hard at the corners, it can block the drain points in the roof's gutter.

The original spec roof trim is no longer available (so look after it if yours is original) and in my experience is light years ahead of the aftermarket trim now available.

#5 CraigM

CraigM

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

Thanks roblightbody. Very helpful! This seems to be the original trim, so I'll whip it off, give it a good clean and find a way of bonding it back on more securely. 

#6 CraigM

CraigM

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 03:07 PM

Water will drain away under the trim on the pillars...there are holes in the gutter...they are just not lined up very well with the cut-outs in the trim.

Superb! Thanks for the link cooperd70. That brochure is a blast from the past! 

#7 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

It should click down along the sides, and feel fairly secure. I've never secured it more than that because i like to remove it occasionally to check for rust.

#8 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:38 AM

Think MiniSpares have just started production of replacement black guttering, tho not sure how close to original it is. Part no. is YGA1105 as well as clips for front and back (separate part).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users