#1 HertsMini

HertsMini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:14 AM

Hi all,

New owner hoping to get a bit of advice on a small rust issue. I've recently noticed a small amount of rust on the inside edge of the boot lid, doesn't look like anything major but was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to sort this, products, processes etc. Want to try and avoid it becoming any worse. Photo attached.

Many thanks! 

Attached Files

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:18 AM

Typical rust starting inside the folds of a seam.To fully eradicate it you need to bend back the seal,weld in new metal and refold it suitably treated,or you could do what I would and get some rust inhibitor wax type stuff of whatever flavour you like( I like Bilt Hamber products) and squirt inside the lid edge and drip it into the seam.

Welcome to Minis and rust,Steve..

#3 HertsMini

HertsMini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

Thanks Steve! Welding in a new piece is probably a bit beyond me at the moment but will definitely get hold of some rust inhibitor. Should hopefully keep thing under control for the time being 

#4 HertsMini

HertsMini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:42 PM

Typical rust starting inside the folds of a seam.To fully eradicate it you need to bend back the seal,weld in new metal and refold it suitably treated,or you could do what I would and get some rust inhibitor wax type stuff of whatever flavour you like( I like Bilt Hamber products) and squirt inside the lid edge and drip it into the seam.

Welcome to Minis and rust,Steve..

I've been having a look on Bilt Hamber's website. Atom-Mac seems to be the most suitable for this situation if I just want to stop the rust getting any worse. Would any of their other products be more suitable for this sort of job? 

#5 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:02 PM

For a seam like that I'd be using Bilt Hamber Dynax S50, and/or Dynax UC

#6 HertsMini

HertsMini

Passed Test

• Noobies