Photo

Hello, Back In A Mini Again After 14 Years. Some Questions (Nl)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BiBiBiB

BiBiBiB

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:36 PM

Hi everyone,

After 14 year, I am once again the proud owner of a mini. This time its Rover Mini 1993 MK6 cooper. Very red and somewhat tuned (85ish hp). Car was professionally resorted* in 2019 and has had 4k km since. I hope I made a good purchase.

Puctures: https://imgur.com/a/x6DFUIq

*1380cc, reworked panels, repaint, new suspension, new brakes, gearbox and engine revision, double weber, Kent rod, 4-2-1 exhaust and some other stuff.

For now I'm just going to get to know the car and see what's what. I do however want/need to make some mods from a comfort and safety standpoint off the bat. Could you please advice?

First, I want to lower the steering bracket. I've dome some research and found that there are many aftermarket parts that can be fitted to lower the steering wheel angle. I've seen quite a few and considering that this is a safety matter as well, I don't want to cheap out. Could you advice on which model is the best and most safe to use? Also, is it quite safe to do this mod yourself? I'm not a complete moron but don't want to take chances.

Second, I want to increase the strength of the light, both front and rear. I for example saw these units. Wondering what the forum consensus is on which are the best after market lights for the MK6.

Thank you!

Edited by BiBiBiB, 20 July 2021 - 07:20 PM.

#2 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:40 PM

nice car, making me jealous now.. ! I've got lots of work to do 

re the steering column lowering, its quite an easy job if you haven't got a sheer off bolt holding the steering column to the dash, if you have ,you will have to cut the bolt head off to release the column from the bracket (time to get the Dremel out )  I just used the standard lowering bracket and got another bolt to replace the the sheer off bolt, you must loosen the steering rack bolts ( two each side ) before you lower the column and don't forget to tighten the rack bolts up after dropping and fixing the column back to the dash.

Allan

#3 BiBiBiB

BiBiBiB

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:09 PM

Thanks Allan! The thing did cost an arm and a leg. My previous mini - although pretty in BRG - was a rust bucket. Been waiting to be able to get a proper one for ages. Still nervous if I made the right choice. 

I did read about the sheer off bolt - will need to check that. Thanks. Which lowering bracket did you use and how much would you say the degrees of drop was? I'd appreciate a picture. 

I'm just about 180cm so hoping that by placing the seat in the utmost rear position will do the trick. My main reason to do this mod is to have the steering wheel be a bit less horizontal in order to have a better grip and control. Hoping that will be the case.

#4 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:34 PM

Hi, I just got a lowering bracket off ebay parts supplier, there are plenty of suppliers there, i dropped my steering down to the max but then again I'm only a short-arse 1.60cm you might consider getting the brackets for the drivers seat to allow you to put the seat further back , its like a  'L' shaped bracket which bolts to the front seat support, you will need two ,only about a fiver each and no more than 30min job, sorry can't do pictures at the moment ....still trying to figure it out...!

good luck, 

Allan

#5 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:47 AM

I've used both of the items mentioned above and honestly don't rate them.

Removed cheap seat extender brackets as they're flimsy.

I'll probably replace my current cheap column drop bracket with something like this

https://www.ebay.co....0-127635-2958-0

#6 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:30 AM

I have this style drop on mine. It came with the slotted fork type but I didn't get on with it.

Attached Files

#7 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:48 PM

..if cost is not a limiting factor then worth considering the DSN offering;  substantial, well made and fully adjustable (..design even allows for some lateral adjustment) 

https://www.dsnclass...ustable-height/

#8 BiBiBiB

BiBiBiB

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:07 AM

Thanks everyone. The dsnclassics unit indeed looks proper. I will order it.

Any advice on the lights? I really like the leds from Stevestonmotorco but would prefer a local / European supplier. 

Speaking of Stevestonmotorco, I also saw that they sell an oil drain bolt with a much stronger magnate. Considering the nature of the engine and gearbox, seems like a simple way to keep the oil cleaner. What do you think?

Another question: the Engine in this mini has been bored above 1380cc. Close to a full on 1400cc as as I understand. I'll receive more detailed from the builder in a few weeks time when I pick up the car. What advice could you give me in keeping the engine in good working condition? How often should I change the oil? was thinking every 6 months / 5000km. 

Also: would a larger radiator be good idea? I want to make some longer trips (300km+) later this year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users