5 replies to this topic

#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:54 PM

Went to Himley last weekend, looking for those odd bits as we all do. Wanted a MK3 headlight switch, couldn't get one, so resigned myself to having to buy one from MiniSport at a ridiculous price of £25.20 plus postage....not too impressed, so had a look at Fleabay, just in case......found one for £18.50, just about to buy it when a mate of mine suggested trying..Watford Classic cars...dealing in MG and MG Midget spares......BINGO, same switch £7.95 free postage, came the next day.....|BARGAIN...

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,473 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:45 AM

There were many more common components across models back in the day. Landrover, as well as MG, have  good parts supply & searching by just the original part numbers can be useful. Occasionally, there's NOS on fleabay where all the seller knows are the numbers on the packaging.

Midgets stayed pretty much unchanged from '72 until production ended in 79, so the supply chain of common MK3 bits will have migrated to MG

#3 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 07:33 AM

There were many more common components across models back in the day. Landrover, as well as MG, have  good parts supply & searching by just the original part numbers can be useful. Occasionally, there's NOS on fleabay where all the seller knows are the numbers on the packaging.

Midgets stayed pretty much unchanged from '72 until production ended in 79, so the supply chain of common MK3 bits will have migrated to MG

Yep........but the point that I am concerned about is....traders selling stuff 'exclusive, and hard to get'........!!!!!   at silly prices, when they are readily available from other sources, if you shop around.......Shame on them.....

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:11 AM

Nothing new here,30 years ago a friend who was a keen autojumbler used to buy job lots of spares.He then would pore over parts books( before internet) and list them eg wheel cylinder fits Transit mk1 ,lotus Corrina,Guess which he listed it for with corresponding price tag.Steve..

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,473 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:06 AM

I worked in an average main dealers in the days before "just in time". every year we'd crate up the stuff that had been gathering dust on the shelves and tout it as a job lot to the local trade , enough to fill 2 or 3 Mini vans. That was the early 80's and we supposedly had about £2 million worth on the shelves & a computer system that looked just like the one in the Italian Job

It was also folklore that Pressed Steel employed a bloke full time to sledge hammer reject body panels before the were sold for scrap.

#6 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:41 AM

I worked in an average main dealers in the days before "just in time". every year we'd crate up the stuff that had been gathering dust on the shelves and tout it as a job lot to the local trade , enough to fill 2 or 3 Mini vans. That was the early 80's and we supposedly had about £2 million worth on the shelves & a computer system that looked just like the one in the Italian Job

It was also folklore that Pressed Steel employed a bloke full time to sledge hammer reject body panels before the were sold for scrap.

Wow that's unbelievable as.......I knew a guy who worked for Pressed Steel and that was his job in the 60's....what's the chance of that ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users