Photo

1967 Pickup (Definitely The Rustiest One Yet!)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fiestaharry

fiestaharry

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 08:11 AM

I wasnt going to start this until the metal work on my 66 van was complete, but due to delays in panels i need something to keep me occupied. 

Won it on ebay, the seller was great, beautiful old farm.He owned it as his first car in the 70/80's, rust and engine issues meant that is wasnt economical to repair so just sat there since now. 

Yes it is extremely rough, pretty much every panel needs work, but in my opinion it is a worthy project. And will be well worth it when i have a 66 and 67 willow green pair of commercials sat there. 

So, a few of the ebay listing photos:

JDS5dCBl.png
lw9hoTwl.png
8OIIUdWl.png
rQKB9VYl.png

When i started tearing into it:

xBVC4iAl.jpg
KtGWMo4.jpg
Y43RjKo.jpg
8BAE1qxl.jpg
SRN3o5Yl.jpg

What was left of it the day after:

MqybZcQl.jpg

Was really hoping to keep the bulkhead in it and just replacing the cross member, but just not economical to repair. I was expecting to have to replace the roof skin, but i pushed the large dent out and have started using a hammer and dolly to get it straight. I would not attempt this on a normal saloon roof but the pickup skins are so small it should be easy to get near enough and fill/ spray fill any imperfections.

Just means now i have a pair of minis being built off a welding/ jig bench instead of one  :lol:

#2 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:27 AM

You are a brave man to take on such a huge project, but I commend you for saving another Mini

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:03 AM

Brave? certainly confident, but with availability of panels and tools not impossible.All BMH do is connect panels together.If you were having to research what was originally there and hand create them then?????.Have lots of fun with your projects,Steve..

#4 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,118 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 08 August 2021 - 03:16 PM

Fiestaharry..... some say if he cuts himself he does not bleed...he rusts......

Cracking project.. well done......

#5 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:05 PM

@fiestaharry - single-handedly taking over the Mini Variant rebuild section. Looking forward to the updates!  :thumbsup:

#6 fiestaharry

fiestaharry

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:44 PM

Fiestaharry..... some say if he cuts himself he does not bleed...he rusts......

Cracking project.. well done......

Haha, i did have a terrible accident with a wire wheel on a grinder which got caught in my glove and attacked my hand, so i have confirmed i do not have tetanous and still have red blood. But we wont go any further into that. 

I dont just take on commercial variants of the earlier minis, i took this project on over lockdown and have basically completed it now except for some niggles:

TsQwFlml.jpg

mCP9qt3l.jpg

l0qbrmsl.jpg

pVHLJd5l.jpg

This was also basially built from the roof and pillars down (did have a bulkhead though  :lol: )

#7 simpsonsclassics

simpsonsclassics

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:37 AM

I wasnt going to start this until the metal work on my 66 van was complete, but due to delays in panels i need something to keep me occupied. 

Won it on ebay, the seller was great, beautiful old farm.He owned it as his first car in the 70/80's, rust and engine issues meant that is wasnt economical to repair so just sat there since now. 

Yes it is extremely rough, pretty much every panel needs work, but in my opinion it is a worthy project. And will be well worth it when i have a 66 and 67 willow green pair of commercials sat there. 

So, a few of the ebay listing photos:

JDS5dCBl.png
lw9hoTwl.png
8OIIUdWl.png
rQKB9VYl.png

When i started tearing into it:

xBVC4iAl.jpg
KtGWMo4.jpg
Y43RjKo.jpg
8BAE1qxl.jpg
SRN3o5Yl.jpg

What was left of it the day after:

MqybZcQl.jpg

Was really hoping to keep the bulkhead in it and just replacing the cross member, but just not economical to repair. I was expecting to have to replace the roof skin, but i pushed the large dent out and have started using a hammer and dolly to get it straight. I would not attempt this on a normal saloon roof but the pickup skins are so small it should be easy to get near enough and fill/ spray fill any imperfections.

Just means now i have a pair of minis being built off a welding/ jig bench instead of one  :lol:

Wow fair play on this, I am defo following this, hats off to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users