#1 chin4806

chin4806

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 10:18 AM

Hi and good evening all.
recently I purchased a set of MED ST2 camshaft kit. now I wondering is the original timing cover can be use with the duplex timing chain?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,948 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:44 AM

With modification.

#3 chin4806

chin4806

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 12:05 PM

what kind of modifications needed, please point me in the right direction.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,939 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 August 2021 - 07:21 PM

I haven't looked specifically at MED's kit but all Duplex set ups I'm aware of will fit fine under the standard Timing Chain cover, there is however a 'dimple' in the covers used in the post 1978 engines (that have a tensioner for the chain) that's at about the 4 O'Clock position that need to be flattened out.

Other than that, the other item is the 2 Hex Bolts that are just under the Crank, in the Front Engine Plate need to be swapped out for countersunk types (and countersink the plate). These screws usually come with most Duplex Kits.

#5 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 02:08 PM

I am running a Swiftune adjustable duplex set on my SPi with a stock timing cover. The fitment issues are at the lower portion of the gears as there is "step" down in width on the cover to clear the crank pulley. You need to massage the cover out a bit to allow clearance. You have to hammer it out a little, test fit, and hammer it out a little more till it fits. Also as mentioned, you will need to countersink the 2 lowest bolts on the back plate for clearance. 

Is this kit you are looking at an adjustable version? I highly recommend if you are replacing, replace with one you can time in perfectly. Depending on the power you are looking to put through the motor, there are very high end simplex versions that are lighter and can handle a decent amount of power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users