#1 Tony Taylor

Tony Taylor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:41 AM

Hi Miniacs,

I am in Australia with a 96 SPI import from Japan, through frustration with the lack of local knowledge and spares have removed the injection and ECU and now runs a HIF44. This part has gone fantastically well, but the only problem yet to be resolved is that the A/C compressor won’t click in.

Knowing that somehow the ECU controlled the compressor operation we need to now bypass this. Can someone please assist with what terminal numbers or wire colours on the ECU plug that need to be bridged or what can be done. Assuming that there is an A/C relay somewhere, where is that located?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Tony

#2 Johnmar

Johnmar

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:07 AM

Pins:

If  I look at the Electrical diagram (38.1) at the MEMS, then there are two wires form and to the AC components:

MEMS CONTROL UNIT (467)

- C159-19 (RW)

- C159-35 (GW)

So it looks that the MEMs will bridge the the connection 19 and 35 leading to the COMPRESSOR CLUTCH RELAY (218) and the DUAL PRESSURE SWITCH (240) when it wants the AC switched on/running (for instance when not cranking/starting the engine)

(I would measure the voltages of these wires (RD and GW in the loom coming from Compressor Clutch Relay and Dual Pressure Switch) and try to bridge these wires (and therefor not using the MEMS) to see if that switches on the compressor clutch relay. I'm pretty sure it wil)

for the schema, see: this file and jump to page 24 (38.1 AIR CONDITIONING (JAPAN))

Please let us know if this worked.

Edited by Johnmar, 13 October 2021 - 11:08 AM.

#3 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:34 PM

The AC relay on that age Mini is a similar form factor to the relay pack that sits/sat on top of your Servo in the engine bay. It is white and is usually located inside the passenger compartment, drivers side to the right of the steering column, slung under the lower dash rail. 

As already mentioned the ECU manages the function of the relay and the AC as it does different things to the engine management to handle the additional load put on the engine when the AC is active.

#4 Tony Taylor

Tony Taylor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:15 PM

Thanks Gentlemen for your advice, I will post an outcome after further investigations.

#5 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:04 AM

One other possibility is that the AC thermostat has reached its end of life and stuck in off mode no matter where you set the temperature, hence the compressor won't kick in.

#6 DavieW

DavieW

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:09 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you have a thread on converting to carb and, I assume, points ignition?

#7 Tony Taylor

Tony Taylor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 09:09 PM

Almost correct, replacement distributor with electronic module.

#8 Tony Taylor

Tony Taylor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 09:11 PM

Check Mini Mania website, they have all the info on the conversion. Definitely runs better.

#9 Tony Taylor

Tony Taylor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:41 AM

Success, we now have AC ! As simple as joining the wires as detailed.

Thanks Everyone

#10 Johnmar

Johnmar

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:40 PM

Great to hear!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users