8 replies to this topic

#1 sam138

sam138

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:20 AM

I've recently installed an Aldon amethyst boost unit alongside one of there Ignitor units inside my old dizzy for my 1275 Suck through supercharger engine. 

It's noted on the Instruction to get the light on the Amethyst unit  to go out as it passes factory timing mark ( ignition on only ). 

would I be right in thinking I should get my crank notch lined up with 0 degrees mark on timing cover when at TDC on cylinder number 1 ? as the unit will control all advancing.  

The other issue I have is the dizzy will not retard anymore as the vac unit hits the starter motor, I need to turn this further so that the  Amethyst unit light to go out as it passes with TDC on cylinder number 1. Is it possible to rotate the distributor some how ? 

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:54 AM

by the look of the ignition map example in the instructions (3.3.1) the reference point is the factory static timing setting, not TDC

distributor position can be changed by removing the distributor from the block and repositioning the drive spindle below it.  find a longish 5/16" unf (i think) bolt, screw it into the centre of the spindle, then withdraw the spindle till it disengages with the cam (it will rotate as it withdraws so do not let it unscrew off the bolt or you'll be in a world of pain!), rotate clockwise one tooth and re-insert the spindle

there's probably a youtube video to show how to do it

#3 sam138

sam138

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, so as per Haynes manual it states 5-6 degrees BTDC as static timing. So with the car ignition on I need to get the crank notch lined up at 6 degree's so that the Amethyst unit light goes out at this point when cylinder no 1 is at BTDC ?

How do you calculate BTDC ? I normally find TDC by rotating the engine until the valves on cylinder number 4 are at a point where both are shut to give TDC on cylinder number 1. 

#4 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 19 October 2021 - 10:40 AM

If you have a modified engine the 5-6 degree factory static timing is not really relevant. 

If you only have a TDC mark, you can set the Aldon to zero advance at all RPM and then line the marks up by rotating the distributor when the engine is running. 

#5 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 10:56 AM

just make sure the timing marks are lined up when cylinder 1 is on it's compression stroke, and not on the exhaust stroke

..i think i've got this right O_O :

• on the compression stroke at TDC, both inlet and exhaust valves on cylinder 1 should be closed
  • on the exhaust stroke at TDC, the exhaust valve should be closing and the inlet valve should be starting to open

#6 sam138

sam138

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

So If I get the timing marks lined up at 5 degree's following the below ? 

• on the compression stroke at TDC, both inlet and exhaust valves on cylinder 1 should be closed

I can then adjust the " offset " option on the Aldon system for the 5 degrees and adjust all RPM to suit this ?  

The car is not starting at present so I need to get the static timing sorted in accordance with Aldon's instructions as I'm guessing the car is to advance to start at present.   

Also by rotating the distributor drive spindle around from the 2 o clock position to say 3/4 at the next cog do I then need to move leads and rotor cap to suit ?

Edited by sam138, 19 October 2021 - 01:26 PM.

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:11 PM

Read the manual,it tells you how to set the drive gear and fit the distributor.The instructions are likely to be explicit and correct.Timing is as you know critical.Steve..

#8 sam138

sam138

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the replies, I've read over the Haynes manual which seems to be for pre 1976 Mini which had the marking on the flywheel for 5/10/15 degrees BTDC which my 1992 mini doesn't have. 

What I'm trying to understand is how I set my Mini as per the Aldon's Instruction below without the vehicle running, Can someone suggest how I can get the 5-6 degrees set with just the notch on the crank pully and timing cover teeth similar to a pre 1976 Mini ? 

"Adjust the distributor so that the LED turns off just as the engine passes the vehicle manufacturer's specified timing point "

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:02 AM

The teeth are 4 degrees apart, with the first one (top one, usually larger) being at 0 degrees.  So aim for midway between the 2nd & 3rd - it will be close enough and then you can fine tune once running.

Edited by GraemeC, 20 October 2021 - 08:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users