#1 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:21 PM

I have a clubman, so it seems a waste not to use the extra space in the engine bay. What cost would a turbo build be? 

What's involved and how much would a novice like myself be able to do myself?

Cheers

kgBDB4L.jpg

#2 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:38 AM

Too many variables. Depends how much power you want? What spec is your current engine? Can you make parts yourself like manifolds etc?

#3 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 10:00 AM

It’s not a waste it just means you have plenty of room to work on it. That bay looks well tidy, mad ideas are what they imply MAD.

#4 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 17 December 2021 - 10:48 AM

check out turbo mini forum, that'll give you ideas!

#5 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 06:04 PM

Engine and box were rebuilt 2 years ago. High compression pistons,evo 1 cam. Does 76 bhp now

I'd be happy to just get another 20

It drives quite well now though

As for making manifolds, my welding is OK for body work, never welded anything else

#6 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 06:15 PM

I have been looking at turbo mini forum, that's a minefield in itself lol

#7 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:58 AM

What's your current compression ratio?

#8 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:20 AM

Haven't a clue. Engine was built by Jim at RACE to be similar to MG metro. Does around the same bhp

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 December 2021 - 01:16 AM

Likely to be fairly high CR then.

As all the sucky blowy holes are facing the bulkhead the situation's pretty much the same with all Minis. 

If you don't want to cut chunks out of that pristine bodywork, you'd be best off with something like a GT17 blower on a Mirage Manifold. There'll be plenty more to sort though, a whole fuel system, suitable ignition....

At least you've space for an intercooler and even a front facing radiator.

#10 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies. The more I look on the turbo mini forum the more I feel out of my depth.

I think next year will be about enjoying what I've I already have till it breaks lol, will keep looking though

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 02:51 PM

if you just want to get to around 100hp that is pretty doable with your current engine as long as its not shagged and the rings are leaky....

You Will need to find out the compression ratio, or be prepared to pull the head and measure the piston dish and head dish. after that, the below applys

get the compression ratio down to something that will allow some boost to be fed in, if you are staying low boost with modern fuels you can go as high as 9.5:1 ( i have head of as high as 10:1 on mapped ignition)

best way to get the compression down is to have the head chambers taken out larger ( or swap the head)

the next biggest problem is a suitable cam, you don't want anything too hot, the Evo 1 will work as a performance turbo cam, but itsprobably as hot as you would want to go with a turbo ( dont run 1.5 rockers)

you will want an uprated diff, as a minimum i would suggest an X pin dif ( you may have one fitted already, the rest of the gearset will be ok as long as its in good condition.

Ok that covers the main Issues.... onto the actual turbo fitment.

the Metro turbo setup wont fit unless you cut the bulkhead, but you can use a fusion fabrications manifold with a GT17 from a saab which will fit with no body mods, then you need a turbo carb setup ( or a NA carb thats been converted)

plumb all that in with a 2" exhaust system ( maniflow do one of the shelf), and also fit an intercooler while your at it.... its simppy not worth not fitting one especially in a clubman. any intercooler that you can wege in there will be fine... bigger is better.

You will need a High pressure fuel pump and Metro turbo fuel regulator. you can use a generic external fuel injection pump a return feed to the tank will need to be fitted.  Using the MPI tank makes this neater as it already has a suitable pump, and a return inlet.

ignition.... you will need to change the advance setup with a recurved dizzy... or better still fit a mapped igntion system...

most importantly get it set up on a rolling road... many people have skipped this step and and trashed the engine in the process

#12 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 04:58 PM

That's a great bit of info, I really wouldn't want to cut the bulkhead. I'll have to do my homework for sure, cheers

#13 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 09:26 PM

That's a great bit of info, I really wouldn't want to cut the bulkhead. I'll have to do my homework for sure, cheers

I have a spare mirage manifold if you can find an appropriate t2 turbo

#14 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 23 December 2021 - 10:24 AM

go for gt17 saab turbo and fusion  fabrication manifold that's what i have and no need to cut bulkhead. only part hard to find seem to be turbo carbs with locking ring around dashpot. if you get a full tubo engine then can keep your n/a one as spare and probably save money in long run.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 December 2021 - 11:12 AM

You can convert a Hif to turbo spec. The clamp's belt & braces really, the important bits are the throttle seals Float & float valve. Even hifs are getting expensive to find, so you could look at programmable injection as a "gateway" mod. You'd be halfway there with programmable ignition and both are worthwhile mods in their own right to add oomph to a road car.

....of course injection would be so much easier with 7 (or more) ports  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users