Photo

Will A 1990 Onwards Full Floor Panel Fit An Earlier (1986) Mini?

rust repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattbee

mattbee

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 04:33 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm restoring a 1986 Mini Chelsea, but 1973-1989 full floor panels seem hard to come by at the moment, and I'm worried I won't have one by the time the window I have to replace the floor is here. Basically I have limited access to a jig, garage space and help from my dad, the expert welder.

So I wondered would a later full floor panel fit a slightly earlier mini - I can't see much difference in panels online, and I'm assuming it's going to be something to do with additional fuel return pipes for later models, would that be accurate?

The products I'm looking at are this 1990-2001 floor versus the correct 1973-1989 floor panel and my untrained eye can't see any differences.

Thanks for any advice,

Matt

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:01 PM

I think the photo shown of the earlier floorpan is inaccurate/wrong and is exactly the same photo as the later floorpan which is correct. The only major differences i know of is the later type floor passenger side front floorpan indentation has a central recess running through it for the fuel injected Minis extra flow and return petrol pipes to pass through under and the drivers side front floorpan recess is much smaller. None of these will be a problem on an earlier car other than if you are bothered about keeping factory originalty under the carpets.

Edited by mab01uk, 10 January 2022 - 07:06 PM.

#3 mattbee

mattbee

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:12 AM

Great, thanks for that, as I thought then. I think Bull Motif might be able to sort me the right panel, so that should be OK, but if not I'll just use the later type for this restoration, which isn't really one that needs to be perfect, as it's my first it'll be mainly a learning process!

#4 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 11 January 2022 - 10:47 AM

as mab01 said but also where rear of floor attaches to heelboard under rear seat pipe recess wider for extra fuel lines.

#5 CBJ805T

CBJ805T

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:30 PM

As above - is slightly different with rob formation but will fit not problem - I've done a full floor replacement on a 1984 mayfair using the >90's panel - no problem 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users