mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:15 PM

Hi All,

Any/Many going? I was going in 2020 with someone from our club but I don't think he's keen this time.

I'm looking for a/some running partner(s) to the IMM as it would be kind of dull on my own, plus handy to have support in case of any mishaps.

I'm travelling from Northampton so could meet anywhere from there to Dover/Folkestone (depending if you're ferrying/chunnel-ing - I haven't booked a crossing yet)

Will be taking the 998 so looking for someone who's not trying to beat any records for the trip  :D

I'm reasonably handy with the spanners so if you're looking for someone who can help in case of any mechanical maladies (within reason of course!) then give me a shout and maybe we can join up?

Cheers, Mark

#2 Podman

Podman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon Minis

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:17 PM

Do you really see it going ahead? the lack of news updates on the app and website doesn't bode well, does it? The way things are in Germany at the moment, and there being less than 120 days until it starts, i think that they're running shy of announcing sad news.

it doesn't give much time to sort ferries, etc., for the traveling masses, like you, me and hundreds of others.

I'm not holding my breath. :(

#3 kartman

kartman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 02:47 PM

Hi Mark,

In 2020 there were a few going from our local club, Cambridge area so not far from you for convoying etc.

I am still interested but seems that others in the club are less so.

As Podman says the lack of updates is worrying.

Even if it does go ahead people are worried about getting all the tests (and associated costs of this) when travelling between the countries: UK > France > Belgium > Germany and reverse on the way back.

I am holding of booking any crossings yet and see what the rules are for testing nearer the time.

Jordan

#4 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 28 January 2022 - 10:03 AM

same was going but lucky last time to get back ferry costs. even though uk relaxing laws it seems others like france and germany may not. know even friends in germany are having doubts

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 11:11 PM

Must admit I hadn't checked the website for a while and last time I looked (before Christmas) it seemed positive but yes quite possible it won't go ahead, hence why I haven't yet made any travel arrangements; crossing, recovery, insurance etc (got to research these anyway now we're out of the EU.......)

Guess we need to hold off for a month or two and then make a decision but whether there will be time then to make all the necessary arrangements who knows (if it does go ahead)

Thanks for the feedback/offers

#6 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 04:48 PM

I attended a rally in France in September, when there was a lot of covid uncertainty at the time. Out of 350 British cars that normally attend, only around 10 made it. But we had a fantastic time and were made especially welcome by the French organisers for having made the effort. Life's too short. Book flexible tickets and accommodation and you can decide nearer the date.

P.S. travel arrangements and insurance are no different than they were for short trips.

#7 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 12:41 AM

OMG! I just tried to read the rules for travel to/through France, Belgium and Germany (mainly to do with Covid but also as we are no longer in the EU)

I could probably learn brain surgery more easily/quickly - the rules are so complex (and different for each country) and not written in simple language for us mere morons to understand.

I can see I will not be making the IMM even if it does go ahead as I won't be able to travel without whatever tests/paperwork/certificates/proof of vaccination/proof of having Covid (which I did at Christmas time) notwithstanding visa insurance and all the myriad of other stuff..... 

#8 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 10:35 AM

OMG! I just tried to read the rules for travel to/through France, Belgium and Germany (mainly to do with Covid but also as we are no longer in the EU)

I could probably learn brain surgery more easily/quickly - the rules are so complex (and different for each country) and not written in simple language for us mere morons to understand.

I can see I will not be making the IMM even if it does go ahead as I won't be able to travel without whatever tests/paperwork/certificates/proof of vaccination/proof of having Covid (which I did at Christmas time) notwithstanding visa insurance and all the myriad of other stuff.....

The rules for driving to the continent for short trips are the same now as they've always been.

Key to travelling is getting a covid vaccination passport on the NHS app. (It is a different app to the track and trace app.) France recognises the UK covid passport. You need to upload your NHS covid passport onto France's AntiCovid app. Probably something similar in Germany. Yes, there is additional digital paperwork but it's not too bad - check out country specific guidance in 'foreign travel advice' in the gov.uk website.

#9 Podman

Podman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon Minis

Posted 31 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

I think it would help if the organizers set a date that they will make a decision by. They're probably hoping for a last minute relaxation of the rules, in Germany, for it to go ahead. If we had an idea of the date that they decided to stick or twist, at least it would be something.

#10 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 02:18 PM

At the moment they are speaking about relaxing the restrictions in Germany. But nobody knows by how much and when...

Of course this does not make life easy, and the last minute cancellation may still be possible...

Anyway, you can have a check on the website to have an easier overview on the travel restrictions in Europe, with links to each government website:

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/

But, as UK is not in Europe anymore, I assume you have to choose "rest of the world" when seeing the rules from travel from UK to Germany.

To be honest, I travel often from Germany to France and back, and even this is complicated as the rules change quite often. Vaccination is your key.

Gilles

#11 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 09:32 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback - I'm fully vaccinated with a "domestic" Covid pass so should be able to upgrade to a travel pass for use in other countries. 

I suppose the main thing is getting a firm go ahead  for the IMM and then take it from there, but I can see it would be easy to have missed some requirement and get "stuck" in transit

#12 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:03 AM

all the joys of living on leper island :bah: :bah:

#13 superhuhn

superhuhn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: MiniAIX (Aachener Minifreunde)

Posted 20 February 2022 - 04:21 PM

postponed again (quote taken from facebook sinde the website seemt to be in the process or renaming/updating already):

Dear Mini Family,
the situation is improving, but as you can see on the World map visits from various countries are still difficult. Unfortunately it is still the case that, despite the relaxation of various rules, it is still unclear what the situation will be in 14 weeks time. Even if we received permission after the 20.03. to hold the event, the bavarian Government can still withdraw this right up until the day of the event. How can we plan an amazing IMM? We would love to celebrate, eat and talk mini with you, but we can’t promise this.
Once again it breaks our heart, but we are forced to delay the IMM for a further 2 years!
The Reasons:
- the most important and most significant reason is that at this moment in time we will not get a license from the local government to hold an event of this size. We “may” get an approval with “2G Plus” (vaccinated / recovered or tested)! As such we have no security in our planning and so better to move the event now than one week before. Many of you now want to book ferries, accomodation and to plan your trip.
- We want to invite the whole world to the IMM. Germany (and many other countries) currently have a “Red” status. A High Risk Area. Everyone who arrives must be vaccinated / recovered or be tested! Depending on the country your travelling from she / he may have to go into quarantine. This may be possible for a very few of us.
- We want to celebrate an IMM with the whole Mini Family and all Guests unrestricted without the differentiation of being vaccinated or not, without distancing and Masks. Currently unimaginable.1f61e.png
Yes, we know that 2024 would be an IMM in England. We are forced to postpone and so there would also be no vote for an Englisch Club for the IMM in 2024. England would then be voted for in the Presidents meeting in Italy in 2023. Yes the “Rules” state every five years in England but the “Corona Virus” has no rules, and we absolutely want to prevent the IMM from dying!
All bought tickets will naturally remain valid!!! (Refund possible until 31.12.2022)
Please trust us and support us, so that we we can all healthily come together and celebrate an IMM again.

Best Wishes your IMM TEAM 2020 Germany

Edited by superhuhn, 20 February 2022 - 04:22 PM.

#14 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 11:25 PM

Yeah saw this earlier on FB  >_<

#15 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 February 2022 - 06:02 PM

The big question now is weather 2024 should be in Germany or UK as per every 5 years. If any UK club had hoped to bid for 2024 at the IMM they would have a lot of there homework done by now and word should be out who they are, anybody?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users