#1 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 06:21 PM

Hi Everyone,

Is there any source out there which references different style part numbers like DAM2920-34902128? I honestly don't even know where these numbers originally came from.

Any hints would be great.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:57 PM

Well that primary gear is NLA but MiniSpares have an alternative.

just plug the numbers into MiniSpares or Somerfords web pages and see what appears.

or spend hours in front of one of these.

n9pA5iK.jpg

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,934 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:56 PM

The factory used a variety of codes for their part numbers, generally they are 6 or 7 'digits' long, ie, the part number you put up ' DAM2920-34902128 ' of that the factory number is the DAM2920. The numbers after that are a retailer's own code and would generally be unique to that retailer.

Most suppliers use the factory numbers or a slight variation to that, eg (from Mini Spares);-

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

In this case, and just from having bought from Mini Spares for a while now (and got the hang of their part numbers), the basic part is the Boot with P/N GSV1264, however, they have modified it in some way, so they have used the suffix 'EVO' in this case.

I nearly always work from the factory numbers. If there's something a little obscure or I'm trying to find an alternative suppler for, I punch in the factory number in to google and usually get pages of good results.

#4 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 08:57 AM

Hi Nick, Hi Chris,

Seems like the eight digit numbers are indeed a reseller thing then.

Thanks for enlighten me.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:44 PM

It's worth googling individual numbers, as said spurious parts manufacturers have their own codes. BL/Rover numbers will be common with other models (e.g. MG) so can flag up alternate sources of parts. Some of the spurious bits can even be common with entirely different marques.

The stuff from BMC era tends to be 2 numbers, a letter, then up to 4 numbers; Mid 70's 3 letters 4 numbers; from the end of production you see number only codes.

Stuff beginning with a G, and having some  sense of an acronym was the in house, Unipart branded, spurious market competitor: GRH radiator hoses, GFE (oil or air) filter elements.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users