#31 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 February 2022 - 06:32 PM

Peanuts/ monkeys is not the whole answer.I worked alongside people in a relatively well paid job.one day I heard a review of his poor performance followed by £500 for thirty years service.His words" they pay me to attend,if they want work they will have to pay me more"This prompted my early retirement,Steve..

#32 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 05 February 2022 - 08:14 AM

I would have just go a longer bolt and filed the end down. One know this is going have some probs at this price point. At least we are not stuck only with unattainable expensive Snap-On stuff. 

Use some of the mini fix-it ingenuity

#33 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 February 2022 - 08:24 AM

I would have just go a longer bolt and filed the end down. One know this is going have some probs at this price point. At least we are not stuck only with unattainable expensive Snap-On stuff. 

Sale of Goods Act 1979 (not a piece of recent legislation)

"14 (2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied condition that the goods supplied under the contract are of merchantable quality,

except that there is no such condition—

(a) as regards defects specifically drawn to the buyer's attention before the contract is made; or

(b) if the buyer examines the goods before the contract is made, as regards defects which that examination ought to reveal."

QED

Edited by Quinlan minor, 05 February 2022 - 08:25 AM.

#34 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 08:59 AM

That’s an interesting view. At what price point do you consider that you should get a perfectly serviceable 2 tonne jack? I have a perfectly good Halfords jack that was about £60 6 years ago, if that was faulty out of the box in the same way that the op’s was, I would have considered fixing it, but not at £160.

#35 Plumber

Plumber

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 01:44 PM

to be honest I don’t believe you are supposed to pull them by the handle. My SGS Jack ( highly recommended) instructions state this very fact. Maybe the Halfords one is designed like this so you can’t pull it around?

#36 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 03:34 PM

to be honest I don’t believe you are supposed to pull them by the handle. My SGS Jack ( highly recommended) instructions state this very fact. Maybe the Halfords one is designed like this so you can’t pull it around?

My Weber jack of many years ago didnt have a removable handle. Twist to let the thing down and twist the other way and pump to lift the thing up, pull handle to position /drag.

Edited by Gaz66, 05 February 2022 - 03:34 PM.

#37 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 February 2022 - 04:00 PM

If you look at the photographs on the original post, you'll see how it's supposed to locate the handle.

My view is, if they can't get something so simple right, what confidence could I have in the higher safety critical parts.

That was the reason I felt it deserved to be brought to other member's attention.

I bought my Mini, second-hand 11 years-old, expecting to have to do it up and keep it fettled, but I'm damn sure I wouldn't buy a new Bini and expect to do the same!

#38 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 February 2022 - 04:19 PM

Interestingly how do you move a trolley jack as mine is verging on a two man lift?Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users