#1 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 05:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

Don't know if this is of any interest for anyone but I will tell you about my side project anyway here :shades: .

The idea was to build a tool stand that I could use for different tools which I until now had clamped in the vice. With the vice fixed on the workbench this wasn't very comfortable because space was always limited around the tools.

And that's what I came up with:

CeBYHtv.jpg
GAGWERk.jpg
VZMmkNm.jpg
ey5ZseY.jpg
XKp5SeF.jpg
pW74eza.jpg

The tool post is a square tube of 45 by 45 mm with a 2 mm wall thickness while the different tools are fixed to a piece of 40 by 40 mm tube which slides comfortably into the bigger tube. To get all slack out of the fit I have welded on two M8 nuts to accept clamping screws.

I have fixed the shrinker / stretcher on a 45° angle because this optimises the leverage and makes using it soo much easier.

Time will tell if the design works and what can be added in the future.

What do you think about the idea and my design?

Cheers from the Pied Piper's Town

Edited by MaximMini, 13 February 2022 - 05:02 PM.

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:04 PM

Good idea though you dont look short on space..

#3 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:39 PM

I can't imagine it's very stable in use

#4 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 07:12 PM

Hi,

The workshop is big enough but as soon as I had fixed the shrinker / stretcher in the vice, I had difficulties with long parts like door bottom repair panels.

For the little anvil and the shrinker / stretcher it is absolutely stable enough, for the bead roller it is not that good though. I will probably make the legs extendable.

#5 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 15 February 2022 - 02:19 PM

garage envy here, wish mine was this neat :lol: :lol:

#6 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 08:39 PM

I like the idea. My suggestion would be, before making the legs longer, I would try to add some temporary weights to the base to see if that helps. If it does not work, you have your answer. If it does, then you have the option of making the weights removable or if permanent weights, add some fixed height casters, shorter than the adjustable legs, to be able to easily move the stand around.    

#7 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 09:55 AM

Hi Rocketman,

The pictures may be misleading with regards to the dimensions of the stand. While the stand is 1 meter high, the legs are 35 cm long (3 food high with 1 food legs in your money ;-) ).

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 February 2022 - 12:41 PM

You got me thinking,

If you stretched string around the legs, the stability would be down to how far the centre of gravity had to move to go outside the string triangle (middle of nearest side). The more legs, the more stable a shape you'd get, but there must be an optimal shape for the number of legs you can get out of a fixed length of tubing.

3 symmetrical legs at 120 degrees would be like having 6 symmetrical legs (forming equilateral triangles) where said string cuts the  leg in the middle in half You'd have 6 times the length of tube to the "falling over" length - the same as with 6 legs of half the length.

A similar 4 legged stand would be the same as an 8 legged stand with legs of half the diagonal of a square with sides as long as those 4 legs (visualising a 4 pane window), so sq root of 2 divided by 2, or 0.707.  That's 5.66 for a material length to falling over ratio.

Without tackling the trig, intuition suggests 5 legs must be between 4 & six legs so must give a ratio less than 4 legs.

"4 legs good", as the pigs said.

#9 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 03:33 PM

Hi Ethel,

The math behind this 'problem' can be described as follows:

a = because(360/2xb) x c/b 

Where: a= distance of tipping point from centre

b= number of legs

c= length of tubing

You agree?

This results in:

a = 0.167 c for three legs

a = 0.177 c for four legs

a = 0.161 c for five legs (with the result declining with more legs)

You are still with me?

Still I would decide to have three legs on the stand as there is no need to adjust the feed when moving the stand ..

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 February 2022 - 06:32 PM

I think so, clever turning into an algebra question. Might have to think a bit more about the 360/2b bit (or have I already? the fall point is in the middle of any 2 adjacent legs, so we're dividing the circle in to 2 x legs sectors???)

I think my 3 & 4 leg examples are correct. The 3 being pure geometry with equilateral triangles..

3 legs @ 120degrees spacing means you can fit 2 of them between 2 legs and the line between the leg ends divides the angle & shared side in half at the  tipping point - a third of a half is as good as 0.167.

Good point on the 3 points of contact. My other thought was putting a threaded anchor for the centre in the floor, if you're always likely use it in the same place.

Running with Rocket's idea as long as it all balances to begin with, it's only you that can unbalance it. If your standing on it the equal 'n opposite reaction force to shoving it over must come through your feet and in to the frame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users