Photo

High Co And Idle (Mot Failure)

Best Answer RWD3M , 24 February 2022 - 04:03 PM

FWIW, I got to the bottom of this yesterday after fitting new water temp and ambient air temp sensors. The idle control valve was all gunged up. So a good clean and normal service has been resumed.

Thanks to those that offered advice.

Richard.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RWD3M

RWD3M

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 05:15 PM

Hi all,

In preparation for the approaching spring (asuming we get one this year) I took my wife's '97 MPi for an MoT this morning. Unfortunately, it failed on emissions, specifically high CO (HC and Lambda both ok). Additionally, the idle seems a little (a lot?) on the high side at around 12 - 1400 rpm. Following lengthy research here, I've checked that all the vacuum hoses are ok so I'm inclined to believe that I may have an issue with the water temperature sensor.

For the want of £15, I've ordered up a new temperature sensor (and gasket) which I'll pick up and fit tomorrow, but just wanted to know if you think I'm barking up the right tree?

Many thanks,

Richard.

#2 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 21 February 2022 - 06:05 PM

How long has the car been sitting? I would also suggestthat it may need a longer drive to the mot test station. Keep the revs high and get the cat all hot and burn off the carbo built up.

I would also think about testing the tollerances of the lambda sensors.

#3 RWD3M

RWD3M

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 06:18 PM

How long has the car been sitting? I would also suggestthat it may need a longer drive to the mot test station. Keep the revs high and get the cat all hot and burn off the carbo built up.

I would also think about testing the tollerances of the lambda sensors.

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

It hasn't been sitting long, however!!! it has only done about a hundred miles since the last MoT (yes, I know, shameful).

The run to the MoT station is about 15 minutes along pretty deserted roads so I am able to apply the Italian tune-up!

I am interested in the Lambda sensor testing, can you tell me more?

Richard.

#4 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 21 February 2022 - 07:21 PM

have a look at this..

https://youtu.be/Fl3aD1qJrEg

#5 RWD3M

RWD3M

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 04:03 PM   Best Answer

FWIW, I got to the bottom of this yesterday after fitting new water temp and ambient air temp sensors. The idle control valve was all gunged up. So a good clean and normal service has been resumed.

Thanks to those that offered advice.

Richard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users