10 replies to this topic

#1 CDY

CDY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 09:27 PM

Can anyone tell me how the interior light is fixed to the roof (or is it the top of the B pillar) as when I bought my car I was told that the wires were behind the roof lining but the fitter had forgotten to put the interior light in.

How is it fixed as I can’t feel any mounts behind the lining and exactly where?

can anyone help?

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 09:43 PM

There will be an angled bracket spot welded to the cantrail.

The year of your car, the interior light is surface mounted so will screw into the bracket.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Later cars had a flush fitting lamp so the bracket would have a cut out for the lamp to clip into.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

So you will need to release the headlining from the top of the B post in order to find the wires.

This will be on the left hand side of the car

Then a hole will need to be made to post the wires through the headliner.

There will be screw holes in the bracket for the lamp to fix to with self tapping screws

Cheers

Ben 

Edited by Ben_O, 18 March 2022 - 09:44 PM.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 09:47 PM

If you zoom in on this photo, you can see the bracket and it's location.

This is the mount for a later flush fitting lamp however 

mjJZxv8.jpg

#4 CDY

CDY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 09:57 PM

Hi Paint Doctor. Thanks for that, although I have felt around the roof lining for the bracket and can’t feel anything.

Mine would be the grey based screw in light as opposed to the flush fitting one.

should I be able to feel some form of bracket or could the previous owner have left the bracket off as I know they replaced the roof because it previously had a sunroof.

What do you think?

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 12:07 PM

Hi Paint Doctor. Thanks for that, although I have felt around the roof lining for the bracket and can’t feel anything.

Mine would be the grey based screw in light as opposed to the flush fitting one.

should I be able to feel some form of bracket or could the previous owner have left the bracket off as I know they replaced the roof because it previously had a sunroof.

What do you think?

It's entirely possible that the bracket could have been removed if the previous owner had not intended to refit an interior lamp.

Do you know if the roof was a replacement skin or if it was a second hand roof from another shell joined at rhe A B and C posts?

If that's the case, it may have been removed at some point during the donor cars history.

The only way to tell for certain will be to unstick the headliner around the area and have a look.

Once you are sure it's missing, a replacement bracket can either be fabricated or liberated from a scrap shell and fixed to the cantrail with screws.

Cheers

Ben 

Edited by Ben_O, 19 March 2022 - 12:07 PM.

#6 CDY

CDY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 05:04 PM

Hi Ben. I am pretty sure that it was a replacement skin and a heritage part.

would this have come with the bracket already attached, if not then I suspect the bracket was never fitted as I can’t feel anything through the liner although I will still check by lifting the liner above the B post.

Thanks for the info to date.

if you or anyone else happens to have a picture of the bracket for the screw on type light, then please post it.

many thanks.

julian

#7 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 05:25 PM

I don’t know if this is the light you have this is on a 1975 1275gt.

Attached Files

#8 CDY

CDY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 06:46 PM

Hi Chris1275GT

i think that this is the correct light for my car but I can’t feel a bracket to fix it to so I am going to have to peel the lining back. It’s possible that there isn’t a bracket at all (was left of when the roof skin was replaced by previous owner), hence why I was after a picture of the bracket under the liner.

#9 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 07:05 PM

The headlining is quite a way off the roof skin and the bracket is roughly the same size as the light backplate with a hole in the middle for the wires the centre of the bracket is 180mm from the centre of the top seatbelt fastener bolt. When I fitted a new headlining I had trouble locating it. I used a long sewing pin to find it the pin was thin enough to not leave a mark on the headlining.

#10 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 08:00 PM

The bracket is nothing to do with the roof skin,  it is spotwelded to the cantrail as in my picture above 

#11 CDY

CDY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 08:05 PM

Thanks Ben & Chris1275gt

That makes things a little clearer so I will investigate further,

regards

Julian

0 user(s) are reading this topic