#1 Darkness

Darkness

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:11 AM

Hi,

I have a 1986 Portuguese moke which I bought without a full hood. I’ve now bought the front bar, the back bar and a full hood.

How do all these bits fit on the moke? Your advice, instructions or photos would be really helpful.

Thanks

#2 Shaun78

Shaun78

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:10 PM

Hi,the best i can tell you is to contact the moke club there are members on there who can help,if not contact mparts who do mokes or Ron at runamoke he is very helpful.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:25 PM

Mini Moke Forum:-

https://forum.mokeclub.org/index.php

Moke Hood:-

http://mk1-forum.net...php?f=5&t=34144

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 March 2022 - 06:49 PM

There was a few variations in hoods, bows and fittings over the years. While I'm not up to speed with all the models made in Portugal, I know for a time, they were the same as our post 1980 models made in Australia, I'm just not certain of the change date, as the later models didn't have separate hood bows but used the roll cage and yours would be close to this as they had that arrangement in 1987.

Perhaps if you could post a general side on view of your Moke, another say midway along the side pontoon and also of the top of the rear wheel arch. Some photos of the hood bows you have would help too, there was two types in the rear bow.

#5 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:04 PM

Is it a new hood, if so where did you get it from?

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:14 AM

Is it a new hood, if so where did you get it from?

I believe Ron at Run-a-Moke has them or gets them made

https://www.runamoke.co.uk/

These are perhaps convenient, however, if you want a good fit, you really need to have a hood made. There's so much variation between shells and the way the windscreen frame bolts on, the shape of the hood bows etc that there is no off the shelf hood that will fit well - unless it's fluked.

I'd also like to pass on that don't take the fit of the hood lightly. If they are poor fitting, they flap, even at slow speeds and get very noisy, to the point of in a short time, you'll end up with ringing ears. They also have a tendency to leak too when poor fitting.

For these reasons, I'd suggest a custom made hood. I have no idea of how these compares in the UK price wise, but I'll add that there was a local firm selling off the shelf hood here. They were around 65% the price of a custom one. Every single owner I spoke too who had one for at least a year (most a few years) were disappointed and many regretted the choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users