6 replies to this topic

#1 fenghuang

fenghuang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 11:09 AM

A serious question, and I hope it's OK to ask this.

I need to estimate the value of my Mini, though hopefully I won't have to sell it. I'm struggling to figure out what it's worth, as it's not currently in the best condition and can't find much to compare it with..

So any thoughts on it's real world value would be really helpful.

1992 round nose

Not Limited edition

Originally silver, overs-prayed in purple, and the paint is peeling

Silver Union Jack / roundels / go-faster-stripes : some peeling

Rust on A panels and doors, but the sills are solid

998 engine with stage 1 kit. Has to have the carb at it's most lean to scrape through an MOT

Minilites, and the tyres probably need replacing
Chrome bumpers (with non-working spotlights) covered in rust spots

Beige vinyl interior

Leaking petrol from perished fuel line near tank.

Other than the fuel leak, flat battery, a better carb needle and tyres, it probably wouldn't take much to get it running, but it's still gonna look quite unloved, without having the street cred of the rat-look.

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 11:12 AM

Not too disimilar to me and mine so would say around £3000 depending on body condition.

#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 01:16 PM

Yeah probably around that mark, maybe less. eBay is best for comparison, but it’s like apples and oranges, as I’m sure you know, without a good look underneath, and poke with a screw driver, it’s hard to tell what’s solid or not on other peoples cars.

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 April 2022 - 09:36 PM

Is a non runner with obvious faults and an admitted very poor paint job really worth £3K?I must be seriously out of touch.Five years ago I only attracted one viewer for my running honestly MOT 998 and he offered £350 yes three hundred and fifty as it was "not very good" I still have it.Steve..

#5 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 10:23 PM

when compared against stuff this, £2-3k sadly is looking like a bargain

https://www.ebay.co....emis&media=COPY

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 April 2022 - 08:25 AM

Always saddens me when people strip them,leave for years run out of interest,talent,cash etc then sell or try to.I must reevaluate the "value" of my tat.Steve..

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 April 2022 - 09:21 AM

It sounds like it needs body-work, including some new panels, a complete repaint, possibly an engine re-build, plus the usual additional things like ball-joints, etc. In fact, it needs a full restoration.

That's a lot of work and I would put it at £2000 maximum, maybe a bit less.

My Grandson bought a 998 Mayfair a couple of years ago which needed a new wing, new sills and doorsteps, one new A panel, a door skin, some boot floor repairs. It needed a full respray and the brakes sorting out (we went to 10" Exacton wheels and S brakes).

He paid £950 for it, but we knew the car as we had restored it 10 years earlier and the new owner had simply neglected it, leaving it out in the open (in Scotland) and hardly using it. It was sad to see it in such a state after the work we originally did on it.

Our man-hours to completely re-restore it were a high number, but it is now finished and is a '998 Cooper Tribute' with sliding windows, centre speedo, Mk.1 rear lights and boot lid, Mk.1 grille, etc. It's now finished in Ford Radiant Red with a Black Roof and black Group 2 wheel-arch extensions. It has twin HS2's, a 510 cam and a 295 head with correct Cooper 3-branch exhaust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users