Photo

Fluidless Clutch

Best Answer DavidN , 28 April 2022 - 04:40 PM

Correct! Very slight film of fluid on the back of the pedal.Must have taken 2 years to drain the reservoir. Little sign on the carpet though. Refilled and "bled" It'll keep to the next MOT visit.Thanks for your help. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DavidN

DavidN

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 03:05 PM

Schoolboy question. Why would my clutch "top up" fluid cylinder be empty? Fluid was changed around 2 years and around 1,000 miles ago. No sign of a leak. ( Had to start it in 2nd gear at a busy roundabout and bounced down the road..!). A bit non plussed. Thanks for your patience...😀.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,960 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 April 2022 - 03:15 PM

You will have a leak somewhere.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 27 April 2022 - 03:38 PM

I'd check inside the car, where the master cylinder arm is.

#4 DavidN

DavidN

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for your replies. Yeah I guess either it wasn't in there in the first place or it's come out! I'll recheck for leaks. I'm of an age where I outsource my little jobs to the local garage now. (52 years of Mini ownership...) I'm wondering, given the low mileage since it's last change, that it wasn't filled correctly. It really is bone dry and I wonder if it could operate for a while on a minimum amount before giving up. Didn't check. I'll refill and do a bleed. ( avoiding all the paraphalia that's in the way on the MPI...).

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,953 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 April 2022 - 06:30 PM

If you can't see an obvious leak, it's usually the Master Cylinder and it'll be leaking in to the carpets.

#6 DavidN

DavidN

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 04:40 PM   Best Answer

Correct! Very slight film of fluid on the back of the pedal.Must have taken 2 years to drain the reservoir. Little sign on the carpet though. Refilled and "bled" It'll keep to the next MOT visit.Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users