20 replies to this topic

#1 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 01:23 PM

Restoration of my 78 Clubman estate continues apace and I am refitting the distributor with an electronic system. As an old school guy i know you cannot see the point at which the syetem fires ( as you can with points) so did some reserach. Advice is to use a test lamp from the neg coil conector to earth. turn distributor counter clocwise  until light goes out, turn another 10 deg then bring back clockwise until light goes on and thats the firing point.

Tried that but with opposite effect.  My test lamp turned on when i turned distributor anti clock wise. nnd stayed on. When i then came back to find the setting  the light went out.but as i  i continued to turn clockwiser the light immediately came back on.

Is it that point when the light went out that is my setting for the distributor.

#2 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:09 PM

I have read this a couple of times and cannot quite get my head round it. It might be where you start from as to whether clockwise or anticlockwise triggers the system, I think.

Anyway moving on, I would set the engine to 8 dec BTDC static, the four trigger points on the distributer shaft should be obvious. Set the trigger point that corresponds to No1 cylinder in the middle of the distributor baseplate switch and nip the distributor clamp. Make sure you are using the correct trigger point by checking the rotor arm is pointing to No1 cylinder position of the distributor cap.

If all else is well with the engine this setting will be close enough to allow the unit to start then it is a matter of fine tuning the timing using a timing light strobe.

#3 mad4classics

mad4classics

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:20 PM

Like Weef, I've re-read your post several times; if I've interpreted you correctly it sounds like you started from an arbitrary point which wasn't "clockwise enough" as it were. You should have started further clockwise than the point you say "the light immediately came back on", then your initial instructions would make sense.

Edited by mad4classics, 09 May 2022 - 05:22 PM.

#4 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 07:01 PM

Yes it was an arbitrary position as i have just refitted it after a total engine rebuild. Rotor arm is pointed to number 1 cylinder and engine is positioned 8deg BTDC. So i now need to turn the dist until it "fires" to give me the static setting. If i had old points fitted the points would spark as they open so i would know the position was correct and clamp up the dist. With electronic you get no indication. so a test lamp is used from neg coil to earth. The instructions i have read on line say turn distributor with light off and when it comes on clamp up the distributor. Howevr foilowing these instructions the test light is on all the time i am turning the dist but goes out momentarily then comes back on so is the exact opposite of the youtube instructions i have been following. I. just need to know how to establish the firing point to set the static timing.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:01 PM

Rotor arm is pointed to number 1 cylinder

I never understand this. It should be pointing at the correct terminal on the cap to fire the cylinder closest to the rad. 

now you have to consider the actual ignition kit you have as they have different characteristics and the trigger point can be much later in the rotation of the dizzy than the same dizzy with points.  

just have the plugs out. Connect a strobe and spin it over. That will give you a reading close enough static. 

#6 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:38 PM

I just get it close enough for it to start, and then adjust it once it’s running with the timing light. The static setting is really only for getting it started anyway

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 May 2022 - 07:20 AM

Nick,I always understood it to mean point at no1 segment in the cap.I am always amused by how mystifying the workings of the distributor are,it is basically a switch,Steve..

#8 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 09 December 2023 - 01:24 PM

I am struggling to get my head around this also.

i have a 1275 A+ Metro engine with a 65D electronic distributor. The car does not run as well as it should, it is an excellent starter just doesn’t run as sweet as it should on part throttle, so probably carburation.

I would love to take my car to AC Dodd for one of his tuning sessions, but I’m on Tyneside, he is on the South Coast.

I’m contemplating sending my dissy to AC , to check over and reset the advance curve. I’m just wondering how best the set/mark up the dissy so I can get it back in the same place. I do NOT ahave a strobe light. Perhaps I should get a one? Any recommendations? It won’t get a lot of use with me so so not want to spend a lot for one.

#9 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 09 December 2023 - 07:09 PM

Buy a 2nd hand one off fleabay then sell it again when you don't want it ... or try and borrow one?

#10 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 07:27 PM

You need to use a timing light to set up a new/recurved distributor. There’s absolutely no point to try and put it back in at the same place as you have it now as how do you know it’s in the right place now & if your new one will have the same idle and maximum advance

Buy/borrow a decent dial back timing light to set it up properly. I use an Innova 3568 which would be perfect for a 65D (the more expensive Innova 5568 adds a dwell function which is automatically set on a 65D so you don’t need to check it)

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 December 2023 - 08:37 PM

Get a strobe or join a local Mini club where you might find someone who can help you.

#12 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 11 December 2023 - 03:50 AM

I am struggling to get my head around this also.

i have a 1275 A+ Metro engine with a 65D electronic distributor. The car does not run as well as it should, it is an excellent starter just doesn’t run as sweet as it should on part throttle, so probably carburation.

I would love to take my car to AC Dodd for one of his tuning sessions, but I’m on Tyneside, he is on the South Coast.

I’m contemplating sending my dissy to AC , to check over and reset the advance curve. I’m just wondering how best the set/mark up the dissy so I can get it back in the same place. I do NOT ahave a strobe light. Perhaps I should get a one? Any recommendations? It won’t get a lot of use with me so so not want to spend a lot for one.

As has already been said you can't do it without a timing light. even the cheapest one you can find will work if you aren't going to do further tuning/testing at above idle.

Without a timing light you don't even know it is in the correct spot as it is so there is no point putting it in the same place.

Edited by 68+86auto, 11 December 2023 - 03:51 AM.

#13 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 01:48 PM

Hi gents, thanks for your comments.

Am I missing something? I have read the instructions for the Innova but cannot see where it suggests I should turn the distributor to advance/retard the ignition to the correct position.

#14 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 08:09 PM

A basic timing light fires the strobe when the spark plug fires. If the timing is set to 10 degrees BTDC then it’ll show up at the 10 degree timing mark (if you have a mark for 10 degrees)

With a dial back timing light, using only the marking for TDC, set the advance setting on the Innova to 10, then line up the TDC mark by rotating the distributor.

Then once you set the base timing you can check the timing at any point in the rpm range - press the up or down arrow on the light to line up the marks and read what it says on the timing light.

#15 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 05:47 PM

A basic timing light fires the strobe when the spark plug fires. If the timing is set to 10 degrees BTDC then it’ll show up at the 10 degree timing mark (if you have a mark for 10 degrees)

With a dial back timing light, using only the marking for TDC, set the advance setting on the Innova to 10, then line up the TDC mark by rotating the distributor.

Then once you set the base timing you can check the timing at any point in the rpm range - press the up or down arrow on the light to line up the marks and read what it says on the timing light.

OK Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users