7 replies to this topic

#1 julian59

julian59

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:36 PM

Hello to All. It's been awhile since I've been on this forum. Trying to get back into my Mini. Haven't driven my Mini Van in about 3 years. 

A little background first. It’s a 1984 Austin Mini Van, came over from the UK, purchased on Ebay from a gent in Tucson Az. He moved to the US because of his health. Anyhow I’m in El Paso Tx. It’s 96 today and very dry.
   A little bit more, This is a left hand drive world in the US. Driving on the streets here can be very dangerous, can’t see what coming from the left when your in the right side seat. Plus everyone drive’s big Texas size trucks. I was thinking on selling my Mini however I love it, plus my honey Said's “ you can hug it, it so small”.
   My Question. instead of selling, why not convert it to a pick up, that way I'll have that big rear window to drive as I want and enjoy my Mini. So are all the parts available to convert this Mini Van to a Pick up, is it cool to do something like this. I don’t want to sell it but I do want to drive it also. Thx to all and I apologize to anyone who thinks this is a sin in the mini cooper world.

#2 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:59 PM

It would probably be considered a bit of a sin on this side of the pond but it’s your car you can do what you like with it. I can’t imagine there’s a huge market for Mini pickups in the US so you may as well make it suit your needs. It’s also worth noting there are plenty of left hand drive Minis in Europe so all the parts to convert your car can be acquired.

All of the correct Mini pickup rear bulkhead panel from M-Machine these days. http://preview.m-machine.co.uk/

The pick tailgate is also available from Heritage and via M-Machine although the back of a pickup is vertical and a van is sloped and pickup rear quarters have additional strengthening so there are some modifications to be done there if you wanted it really correct.

#3 julian59

julian59

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:40 AM

Tupers, I totally agree on what your saying. I have a full shop here in El Paso and we work on vintage Chevys (cars and trucks) all the time. Mostly doing things the correct way. I hate cutting up something that really don’t need it.  Being that this Mini is right hand drive is really cool, specialty when you cruse and no one has seen one. Maybe I’ll change it to left hand drive or install rear view cameras and a dash display. Still up in the Air. thx for your input and the Mini Cooper website.

#4 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:46 AM

Why not add rear side windows like an estate.

Like this https://bringatraile...orris-mini-van/
or this https://car-from-uk..../ebay840479.jpg

Edited by greenwheels, 14 May 2022 - 10:47 AM.

#5 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:47 AM

don't know if you have mini pickups over in US, rare enough over here, but with the bulkhead in they make a mini into a real cramped cab. even though im normal height was pushing right up to it when in driving seat. that and your high temps over there fitting rear windows may be better option. people have done that over here and looks ok. aslo easier to reverse if you are concerned about ruining a classic. you can also get rear seat units for vans so extra seat if needed

#6 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 15 May 2022 - 06:46 AM

Converting to LHD is a lot more straoghtforward than chopling up the body. Sounds like that'd already solve your issues?

#7 Hpal

Hpal

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:26 PM

Don't cut it up. It it were me I'd leave it as it is and learn to live with it, convert to LHD if you must much easier than cutting it up.

#8 julian59

julian59

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:41 PM

well after reading all the posts and advise. I'm not going to turn this into a pick up or cut any windows into this cool Mini. I've been looking into some cameras and I found this place

( https://www.safefleet.net/ ). Unfortunately this company doesn't sell to the general public but I have a friend that buys for a company who can sell me the items I need.  Also I'm thinking about putting A/C into this Mini, ( It's 101 in El Paso today ). The only things of Japanese A/C I'll be using are the Alt and A/c compressor mounts. No computer or any of the new tech stuff. Very simple.   Anyhow here is a picture of my Mini

1981_mini_van(1).jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users