Photo
- - - - -

Are Custom Builds And Highly Modified Minis No Longer A Thing?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Pairaminis

Pairaminis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 12:59 PM

This site should raise some eyebrows.

https://www.facebook...roved&ref=notif

#32 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 May 2022 - 01:30 PM

In my experience the worst haters are often the "enthusiasts" H ave seen some truly horrific and dangerous cars,do I berate and damage them?Never would enter my mind.When I did training I would have someone unskilled and willing over a pompous opinionated more skilled person every day.
We ( the royal we) are in danger of killing our hobby.I visit some shows and park in the public car park,Steve..

#33 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 04:48 PM

Maybe it's time to sell up and buy a Beetle, those guys have fun and seem to have no rules on what's acceptable... I'll leave before the eggs come flying at me

In all seriousness I do love the rat/patina look

#34 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 May 2022 - 06:22 PM

I can't believe what I've just read, but it doesn't surprise me. I've only done 2 mini specific events since my car was finished, both times I've parked up and legged it, I'd get really pissed off if someone called it lol

#35 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:13 PM

Can’t see it, it’s private. Care to share some screen grabs?

This site should raise some eyebrows.

https://www.facebook...roved&ref=notif

#36 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:30 PM

The lack of respect for other people's property is sickening.

I liked all of the cars with the built not bought stickers at the l2b. I was tempted to report them all as stolen. 😉

Edited by Mito, 22 May 2022 - 10:40 PM.

#37 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 10:16 AM

I'll leave before the eggs come flying at me

Just don't mention 13" wheels, that'll get you put in the stocks!  :whistling:  

#38 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 01:01 PM

This thread is weird. :D

On one hand every post I've seen on this forum and many others (including the healthier Facebook groups) center on 'build it for you, not other people' and yet the premise of this thread is 'people aren't building wacky stuff anymore' - maybe they don't want to?

And harking back to general modified car groups as the saviour of the scene? Are you mad? I was involved with that lot for a long time, a long time ago. Pick the wrong car, make the wrong mods, and you'll be pilloried for poor taste. 'They' have the same issues with cliques, bullying and bad behaviour as all groups do - they're just groups of people. If you haven't seen it I'd suggest it's because you're not looking for it hard enough.

Just don't mention 13" wheels, that'll get you put in the stocks! :whistling:

Your car is a great example, Chris. I've seen it at shows/events and I know I've said to my wife as we've look at it 'nice engine, shame it's sat on it's arse' - we all have different tastes and are allowed to express them in private conversation. Would I touch/damage the car because it's not to my taste? Do I look like a *******? Of course not! Would I say to you that I don't like your car? No, it's not a conversation that either of us would benefit from, but I'd certainly ask a few questions about the build.

#39 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 02:53 PM

This thread is weird. :D

On one hand every post I've seen on this forum and many others (including the healthier Facebook groups) center on 'build it for you, not other people' and yet the premise of this thread is 'people aren't building wacky stuff anymore' - maybe they don't want to?

And harking back to general modified car groups as the saviour of the scene? Are you mad? I was involved with that lot for a long time, a long time ago. Pick the wrong car, make the wrong mods, and you'll be pilloried for poor taste. 'They' have the same issues with cliques, bullying and bad behaviour as all groups do - they're just groups of people. If you haven't seen it I'd suggest it's because you're not looking for it hard enough.

Just don't mention 13" wheels, that'll get you put in the stocks! :whistling:

Your car is a great example, Chris. I've seen it at shows/events and I know I've said to my wife as we've look at it 'nice engine, shame it's sat on it's arse' - we all have different tastes and are allowed to express them in private conversation. Would I touch/damage the car because it's not to my taste? Do I look like a *******? Of course not! Would I say to you that I don't like your car? No, it's not a conversation that either of us would benefit from, but I'd certainly ask a few questions about the build.

From my experience with the 'build it for yourself' comments, it tends to be then followed up with "as long as we approve". I think this is because most typical classic car owners like to think they are open minded to the world of modifying cars, but don't realise that this goes much much further than simply making it fast round a track. They assume that when we use the word 'modified' we're only talking about ported/polised heads, weber carbs, weight reduction, maybe some nice seats, bonnet stripes, Minilites, etc. I think this is especially true for the Mini scene since the handling of these cars is praised as it's best feature, which I can absolutely understand. We may occasionally be labelled as posers, but sometimes we just want to build cars that prioritize looks and style while still being great for cruising. Wide wheels, big arch flares, extensive body mods, extravagant paint; I'll be the first to admit that none of these things add to the drivability of the car, but that's ok if it makes the owner happy.  :proud:

I can speak for the vast majority of modified classic owners (not just minis) when I say that the general modified groups are indeed more welcoming. You are absolutely right though when you say that abuse and negativity can be found here too. Usually this is from people who build a substandard car (cheap parts, cheap paint, stock interior, no engine mods, etc) and are then upset when they aren't accepted for VIP areas of shows for cars where every nut and bolt has been touched. I go to pretty much every modified show on the summer calendar, and there are cliques and close groups, but everyone is approachable. I generally live by the rule of 'be friendly to anyone who is friendly to me' regardless of who they are or what they drive, and so it's introduced me to some amazing people who often have complete opposite tastes to me. 

I'm not trying to paint the modified scene as a safe haven for everyone where piece and love comes first, but there is at least the accepted idea that you can take a car beyond factory original without being heckled for that alone. I guess what I'm trying to say overall is that there are no 'rivet counters' in the modding scene, and for some, that's enough to enjoy themselves.  

Regarding my car, I respect your comments! I always knew it would be a Marmite car when I built it, and I welcome questions from people about why I might've chosen to do something in a certain way  :D (sometimes I ask myself the same questions lol). Some of my best friends have the complete opposite mindset to me regarding building cars, but we always say variety is the spice of life! Like you say, we all have opinions about everything, it's just how we go about expressing them that makes the difference.

My comment about 13" wheels was really a reference to threads that pop up on this forum all the time. Someone will post a question like "which tyres are best for my 13" wheels?",  and they'll be given 5 replies all saying "dont", or "fit 10s", or "you'll ruin the car" before anyone offers help. 

#40 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 03:30 PM

They assume that when we use the word 'modified' we're only talking about ported/polised heads, weber carbs, weight reduction, maybe some nice seats, bonnet stripes, Minilites, etc. I think this is especially true for the Mini scene since the handling of these cars is praised as it's best feature, which I can absolutely understand. We may occasionally be labelled as posers, but sometimes we just want to build cars that prioritize looks and style while still being great for cruising. Wide wheels, big arch flares, extensive body mods, extravagant paint; I'll be the first to admit that none of these things add to the drivability of the car, but that's ok if it makes the owner happy.  :proud:

This isn't a 'get off my lawn' comment, but you sound like I did ~20 years ago. I had a Nova GTE with 9" wheels (with 195 tires, before stretch & poke was cool), 80mm drop, and flip paint. I went to shows all over the country (which for me at the time mostly meant the South), both organised and 'underground'. Southend seafront Saturday, Guildford on a Tuesday, Sutton on a Wednesday, Dartford on a Sunday (I think), and our own group meets in between. I also favoured form over function.

As I got older my tastes changed and I moved more towards function over form, dropped the events apart from the interesting ones, and tinker with engines/gearboxes rather than polishing paint. And I guess as communities like Mini owners get older their views will/have similarly changed.

#41 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 04:01 PM

And I guess as communities like Mini owners get older their views will/have similarly changed.

Maybe this is the hitting the nail on the head moment
When did minis stop being available and road legal for £500 that a 17 year old could buy and modify until they crash it?

They are either now too expensive, or the 17 year olds that can buy one see it as more of an investment to take care of and restore. rather than something they can abuse and have fun with until it goes bang.

Edited by TheFabMini, 23 May 2022 - 04:03 PM.

#42 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:35 PM

This isn't a 'get off my lawn' comment, but you sound like I did ~20 years ago. I had a Nova GTE with 9" wheels (with 195 tires, before stretch & poke was cool), 80mm drop, and flip paint. I went to shows all over the country (which for me at the time mostly meant the South), both organised and 'underground'. Southend seafront Saturday, Guildford on a Tuesday, Sutton on a Wednesday, Dartford on a Sunday (I think), and our own group meets in between. I also favoured form over function.

As I got older my tastes changed and I moved more towards function over form, dropped the events apart from the interesting ones, and tinker with engines/gearboxes rather than polishing paint. And I guess as communities like Mini owners get older their views will/have similarly changed.

I appreciate that, my tastes are what they are for now, so if they change as I get older then so be it, my car will no doubt evolve to reflect that.

You say that as you got older your interests and tastes understandably changed, but the important aspect here is that you have remained open minded towards the other peoples tastes and how they choose to build their cars, even if they're not your cup of tea. This is critical and is something other Mini owners could learn from, as I and others here have stated that the issue is other Mini owners acting as if they own everyone else's cars and therefore trying to dictate how it is built.  

#43 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:38 PM

They are either now too expensive, or the 17 year olds that can buy one see it as more of an investment to take care of and restore. rather than something they can abuse and have fun with until it goes bang.

The issue isn't with the owner's mindset towards their own car though, if a 17 year old want's to preserve their car in factory condition then that's great, more power to them! The problem arises when 17 year old number 2 buys one to chop up and modify, and 17 year old number one tells him he's wrong and belittles him. In reality, both cars are equally as important to their owners and the scene as a whole.  

Edited by Chris1992, 23 May 2022 - 05:41 PM.

#44 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:56 PM

Respect to everyone, but IMHO some people think they have become an experts and thanks to the internet and anonymous posting, this sometimes carries over into the real world. Despite what I’ve read, I’d hope the serious incidents as described above are few and far between. They/we need to become a bit more zen about the whole thing, and give everyone the the respect they deserve, I mean it’s just a car and at least we aren’t BMW owners!

#45 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 06:27 PM

I mean it’s just a car and at least we aren’t BMW owners!

yeah, about that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users