mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 June 2022 - 07:45 AM

zwYzTTX.jpg

"Is this peak scrapyard? It can’t be far off, with a joyous selection of cars wherever you choose to look. There’s a proper crossover between what we’d call absolute classics today, such as the Austin 1800, Vauxhall Viva HC and Hillman Imp – but I can’t help but admit my eyes are drawn to the Renault 18 in the immediate foreground, Opel Kadett City in green piled on top of the Imp and the Volkswagen Golf Mk1.
Other highlights include the trio of Austin Metros, the pair of Morris Marina/Ital vans, the Ambassador and the Acclaim. I love the Volvo 240 with its bonnet up in the foreground, too, but the more the look, the more you find. The Fiat 127 alongside its kissing cousin the Yugo 45 is a delight, as is the E12-generation BMW 5-Series with its back end to the camera."

"You’d not gain access until you asked the oily keeper of the keys if he had a certain type of car, and if he did, you’d go and rummage and find your part. Retrieved, you’d go back to the hut, walk in, wonder at how every surface, including all the paperwork, had a light sheen of used engine oil, then look the bloke in the face before bartering for a good price...."
Memories : a scrapyard in England, 1991:-
https://www.aronline...ies/scrapyards/

#2 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 June 2022 - 12:30 PM

Used to love wandering around the scrapyards in the mid/late 00s when I had no money but endless problems to fix on the mini :) 

is it still a thing today?

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 01:22 PM

Used to love wandering around the scrapyards in the mid/late 00s when I had no money but endless problems to fix on the mini :) 

is it still a thing today?

I don't think many scrap yards let customers wander around anymore due to health and safety and environmental rules. Most are now selling the already stripped parts off the shelves or online.

Edited by mab01uk, 16 June 2022 - 01:22 PM.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 01:23 PM

My own scrapyard memories (1970/80's) for a Saturday or Sunday morning at the breakers were join the queue at the entrance hut with toolbox/socket sets at the ready, then a grumpy old guy with a large Alsation dog on the gate asks what parts you are after and then your off to start exploring the yard for any new arrivals since last weekend, stacked up 3 or 4 high amongst the puddles of oil and not yet picked clean of any prized 'upgrade' parts or a replacement for the latest part that had failed or worn out on your 850 Mini. The best items always seemed to be visible on the top car of an unstable stack and involved a scary clamber up to the top for those brave enough to risk serious injury to claim them. The sought after upgrade items for Mini owners which were soon stripped off by buyers were of course any Cooper engine and trim parts, plus anything from under the bonnet of the upmarket MG/Riley/Woleseley/Princess ADO16 models. Also Elf/Hornets had lots of goodies for transferring onto your Mini and automatic Minis had 1.5" SU carbs. Small items like chrome handbrakes, dash gauges, etc could be stashed in your toolbox on the way out while you paid cash for the more significant oily part like a starter motor at the exit hut but in later years the yards clamped down and would search your toolboxes on the way in and out!

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 17 June 2022 - 09:06 PM

I guess anyone over 40 (-ish!) will remember scrappies like these especially if you had a mini (or any old car for that matter) as a daily driver like many of us did. Haven't been to a scrapyard/breaker in about 20 years, however the last time it was still like this but that one closed a good while ago and of course minis started to become less prevalent in them after 2000 (saying that saw a mini on the top shelf (oo-err) in Daventry a couple of weeks ago - to my surprise)

Like everyone else - buy the part you want but then cram your toolbox with anything small and portable - bulbs, fuses, hoses, brake pads/shoes, fan belt if particularly new etc etc - I could just about fit a carb and dizzy in the bottom tray of mine but it was nerve racking when you left and in the end they got wise to the practice. :ohno:

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 07:59 AM

Plenty of used spare parts in the scrapyards for Minis back in the day.....now they would be ebay 'barn finds'.  :lol:

nuFO42rl.jpg

GXV2Qnxl.jpg

ZlT3abql.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 18 June 2022 - 08:15 AM.

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 June 2022 - 08:33 AM

In those heady days tool availability especially welding equipment was nowhere near what it is now.Coupled with the relatively low cost and massive availability of cars there was little incentive for the type of repairs seen today.Oh how I miss those simpler? times,Steve..

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 June 2022 - 09:44 AM

Regular weekend meetings for me and my mates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users