Photo

Mpi: Engine Stuttering When Cold, Mini Jumps/kangaroos

Best Answer OlivierW2 , 16 July 2022 - 05:07 PM

Hello Chris,

Great you fixed your problem! Did you clean the stepper before reducing its value with the ACR4?

In a previous post, you told me: "This is the earth for ECT, MAP, IAT and TPS and all these seem to work on your car.", and I forgot to answer. Don't forget I had an error: ("08 throttle potentiometer circuit, logged, sensor output") with the TPS sensor  :-)

So, this afternoon, as I had access to a garage with electricity for a few hours and I had nothing else to try on my car right now, I looked into the SJ5 problem.

I removed the air box and searched for the SJ5 solder joint with the help of the very few pictures I found in the German forum.

I removed electric tape of the loom, removed a bit of the split pipe and finally found SJ5!

As I was not sure if the solder was OK or not, I heated it and added a bit of solder. Then I put back the split pipe and electric tape.

Also, during the process I disconnected a few connectors and put some "contact cleaner" on them. It probably doesn't hurt  :-)

In case someone else want to find the SJ5 solder joint, I attached a few pics:

• in red, if the SJ5 location (not very precise, but did my best)
  • in green, there is a green electric tape on the loom, it may helps to find SJ5
  • in blue on the first pic, not related to SJ5, but does anyone know what is this "filter" (?) and the pipe attached to it? Does this pipe seems rigid on your car?

Inside the split pipe, SJ5 was protected with grey electric tape.

Then I went for a quick ride.

After fixing the solder joint, the first time I started the engine, and a few seconds after leaving the garage, my engine had a high idle RPM (more than 1500) and when I pressed the accelerator, it went up to 3000RPM and stayed there. I restarted the engine and everything went back to normal.

Not sure if it's a normal behavior, maybe the calculator was resetting some values?

I didn't get any new problem with the engine, but like the other day, the outside temperature was quite hot (around 33°C). I checked with the ACR4, and I didn't get back the TPS error, so that's cool :-)

I'll try again tomorrow morning, when outside is a bit colder.

I'll also try to go on the highway again, to check if I still have the problem I had this morning (struggling at 2500-3000RPM on 3rd gear).

Have a nice evening,

Olivier

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 OlivierW2

OlivierW2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 05:07 PM   Best Answer

Hello Chris,

Great you fixed your problem! Did you clean the stepper before reducing its value with the ACR4?

In a previous post, you told me: "This is the earth for ECT, MAP, IAT and TPS and all these seem to work on your car.", and I forgot to answer. Don't forget I had an error: ("08 throttle potentiometer circuit, logged, sensor output") with the TPS sensor  :-)

So, this afternoon, as I had access to a garage with electricity for a few hours and I had nothing else to try on my car right now, I looked into the SJ5 problem.

I removed the air box and searched for the SJ5 solder joint with the help of the very few pictures I found in the German forum.

I removed electric tape of the loom, removed a bit of the split pipe and finally found SJ5!

As I was not sure if the solder was OK or not, I heated it and added a bit of solder. Then I put back the split pipe and electric tape.

Also, during the process I disconnected a few connectors and put some "contact cleaner" on them. It probably doesn't hurt  :-)

In case someone else want to find the SJ5 solder joint, I attached a few pics:

• in red, if the SJ5 location (not very precise, but did my best)
  • in green, there is a green electric tape on the loom, it may helps to find SJ5
  • in blue on the first pic, not related to SJ5, but does anyone know what is this "filter" (?) and the pipe attached to it? Does this pipe seems rigid on your car?

Inside the split pipe, SJ5 was protected with grey electric tape.

Then I went for a quick ride.

After fixing the solder joint, the first time I started the engine, and a few seconds after leaving the garage, my engine had a high idle RPM (more than 1500) and when I pressed the accelerator, it went up to 3000RPM and stayed there. I restarted the engine and everything went back to normal.

Not sure if it's a normal behavior, maybe the calculator was resetting some values?

I didn't get any new problem with the engine, but like the other day, the outside temperature was quite hot (around 33°C). I checked with the ACR4, and I didn't get back the TPS error, so that's cool :-)

I'll try again tomorrow morning, when outside is a bit colder.

I'll also try to go on the highway again, to check if I still have the problem I had this morning (struggling at 2500-3000RPM on 3rd gear).

Have a nice evening,

Olivier

Attached Files

#17 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 July 2022 - 05:33 PM

Filter thing is one way valve for brake servo and the pipe is rigid if it is original.A quick look at the rubber bung at the servo end is free insurance as it is possible to suck air in here.Steve..

#18 OlivierW2

OlivierW2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 06:03 PM

Ok, thanks for the explanation Steve! ;-)

Edited by OlivierW2, 16 July 2022 - 07:27 PM.

#19 OlivierW2

OlivierW2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:04 AM

Hello :-)

Just went for a 15 minutes ride in the city, outside temp is around 23°C: didn't get any problem!  :D

Also, the TPS error didn't reappear on the ACR4, so that's quite nice.

When I started this thread, the problem was intermittent, and then it seemed to appear all the time when the outside temperature was around 20-25°C. So, for now I can't be 100% sure the problem is solved.

And I still haven't checked my other problem on the highway.

So, I'll report back later :-)

Have a great Sunday!

Olivier

#20 nichmoss

nichmoss

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:13 AM

Great work and many thanks for the pictures as these will be useful for everyone. I'd forgotten you'd had that error flagging so let's hope this is it as your fix is much cheaper than a new unit.

The start up high idle seems a bit odd but you're right, the ECM may have had to start up and when you closed down again, it set the stepper to zero before the next start up - sounds reasonable. There is a pinned post about the stepper at the top of this sub forum.

I haven't cleaned the stepper yet but it's on the list... Like many other things! It appears to be delicate so I will look into it before opening that.

Hope the test later goes well and very pleased for you.

Cheers, Chris

#21 OlivierW2

OlivierW2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 12:59 PM

Well, I got the high idle only once. I'll see if it does it again later, but let's forget about it for now :-D

So, I'm back after a 1+ hour ride in the city and highway, with outside temperature around 35°C. Everything went perfectly well: no problem at the beginning, no problem on the highway (3rd gear at 2500/3000RPM) and no problem when I was stuck in the highway traffic jams at less than 20Km/h for a few kilometers.

Today I didn't get time to save the values found with the ACR4, but at least I didn't get any error reported! :-D

And I love the Mini engine cooling system: the temperature always stay stable, even in crazy temperature like nowadays :-)

I'll see in the future if the main problem reappears, but unfortunately I'll probably won't drive before next weekend.

Yes, I have checked the pinned post about the stepper, but I wasn't sure if you had cleaned it before changing the setting. Good luck when you'll do it ;-)

Did you get a chance to drive again since yesterday?

Have a nice afternoon!

Olivier

#22 nichmoss

nichmoss

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 01:08 PM

Hi Oliver

I've been out in my Mini this morning - about 25 miles to the beach with ambient air temperature around 20C.  A few hours there and then drove home and the ambient temperature was far higher (up to about 32C) plus a small traffic queue at one point.  Car behaved perfectly and no issues so I'm very happy that everything is solved.  Yes, the cooling system works really well on these MPIs and has never been a concern for me either.

I'll let you know when I do the stepper clean.

Best wishes, Chris

#23 OlivierW2

OlivierW2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 07:01 PM

Hello Chris,

Nice, great to see your Mini works great now! ;-)

Yes, I would be interested when you will clean the stepper cleaning :-)

Because I'll also do it, but it will be much later, I don't want to touch too much things, I prefer to be 100% sure my original problem is fixed. So, maybe next summer?

Talking about the original problem, this morning I got a chance to drive for 10-15 minutes in the city, the outside temperature was also around 20°C and… no problem! My Mini worked as it should, and still no error reported with the ACR4, I'm so happy :-D

I also tried some "hard" braking and the engine didn't sound like it wanted to stall (like I reported in my second post) :-)

Good evening,
Olivier

#24 OlivierW2

OlivierW2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 06:05 PM

Hello,

Well, I have marked the thread as solved  :proud:

I have tested my Mini quite a few times since I've fixed SJ5 and the problem never appeared again and no error on the ACR4.

I haven't really been able to test on the highway: there is way too much traffic around my city during the summer…

Also, I had ordered HT leads on Moss Europe, but after waiting more than a week and the package wasn't sent, I cancelled the order.

I'll try to get the numbers from my ACR4 since my fix, so it can maybe help other people in the future.

Thanks everybody for the help, especially Chris.

Best Regards,
Olivier

#25 nichmoss

nichmoss

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:05 AM

Hi Oliver

Pleased to hear that all is now fine and thanks for those pictures about SJ5.  I didn't strip my stepper although I did take it out and clean the plunger and area on the manifold as there was a lot of build up there.  I also did go over and check/tighten all the connections to the manifold and replaced some O rings as my MAP was certainly too high.  Blocking off each connection made no real difference so, if there is a leak, it is at the gaskets from the throttle body to manifold or manifold to head, I suppose.  I then reset the stepper and this is where I am as a new baseline.

7-8-2022: Baseline

No faults were registered

RPM = 900

ECT = 90C

IAT = 63C

MAP = 41.1 kPa

Throttle position = 5.0

Throttle switch = Off

Battery voltage = 13.8V

O2 bank 1 = 0.3mV to 3.0mV Flickering rapidly, within a second.

Feedback bank 1 sensor = On

Coil 1 charge time = 1.60mS

Coil 2 charge time = 1.58mS

Injector 2 pulse width = 0.98mS 

Injector 4 pulse width = 0.99mS

Stepper position = 16

Crank sync = Good

Cam signal= Good

Ignition switch = On

My pulse widths have gone down and the stepper is in range. The MAP is still slightly over 40 but at 1500-1700 rpm, it is 35kPa which appears to be good.  I may still have a small leak but, I can't find it!  The car is running fine and I think the next test will be to have the emissions checked - if they are fine, I'll leave this alone but it will be a while until I'm in the area of my friend who is Rover trained and he would be the best to do this.

Enjoy your car!

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users