Ignition Timing After Rebuild
Started by
Austin mini 30
, Jul 09 2022 10:08 PM
4 replies to this topic
#1
Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:08 PM
Hi all,
Hope all is well. I understand this has been covered roughly in some other posts but I’m struggling a bit setting up the timing after the engine rebuild.
It’s a 1989 mini 30 but I’ve got an A+ 1310 in it now. Just rebuilt the full engine, with a Kent 276 cam. The timing chain/gears was all set up so the dots lined up etc as per the manual.
Build the car back up, turned the engine over with the plugs out and oil pressure is great.
Car turns over great but no signs of firing up.
There are cables around the coil I’m not sure about.
The (+) side is all sorted but the (-) side I’m not sure about
White and brown (oil press sensor)
White and black (1) ?
White and black (2) ?
Black (dizzy negative lead)
I’m not sure about the 2 white and black wires, Rev counter and the other connects to the dizzy? I’ve been connecting the dizzy one straight to the (-) but unsure if this is correct.
For setting the ignition timing,
Set to TDC,
The dizzy driveshaft points to 1o clock
Install dizzy
Rotor arm points to 1 o clock which is no 1 (radiator side)
Leads on anti-clockwise 1342
As for the points though should it be turned anti-clockwise until it juuuust starts to make contact?
Just unclear as to the exact procedure for this part.
I’m not after perfection just close enough to get it running and then it can be fine tuned from there.
Cheers for your help as always!
Angus
Hope all is well. I understand this has been covered roughly in some other posts but I’m struggling a bit setting up the timing after the engine rebuild.
It’s a 1989 mini 30 but I’ve got an A+ 1310 in it now. Just rebuilt the full engine, with a Kent 276 cam. The timing chain/gears was all set up so the dots lined up etc as per the manual.
Build the car back up, turned the engine over with the plugs out and oil pressure is great.
Car turns over great but no signs of firing up.
There are cables around the coil I’m not sure about.
The (+) side is all sorted but the (-) side I’m not sure about
White and brown (oil press sensor)
White and black (1) ?
White and black (2) ?
Black (dizzy negative lead)
I’m not sure about the 2 white and black wires, Rev counter and the other connects to the dizzy? I’ve been connecting the dizzy one straight to the (-) but unsure if this is correct.
For setting the ignition timing,
Set to TDC,
The dizzy driveshaft points to 1o clock
Install dizzy
Rotor arm points to 1 o clock which is no 1 (radiator side)
Leads on anti-clockwise 1342
As for the points though should it be turned anti-clockwise until it juuuust starts to make contact?
Just unclear as to the exact procedure for this part.
I’m not after perfection just close enough to get it running and then it can be fine tuned from there.
Cheers for your help as always!
Angus
#2
Posted 09 July 2022 - 10:18 PM
So back to the cam timing. What was it set to? Dots actually mean nothing as it is not a standard cam?
#3
Posted 10 July 2022 - 06:39 AM
If you have a helper, try sweeping the distributor from one side to the other while cranking. It should start if it's within about 20 degrees of the right spot, then you can dial it in with the timing light.
#4
Posted 10 July 2022 - 11:05 AM
Went back to basics this morning and found out the dizzy drive was 180 out, turned round and roughly timed up she fired up straight away, cheers for your responses 👍
#5
Posted 10 July 2022 - 11:23 AM
You got the offset of the slot drive matched with the offset on the dizzy?
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users











