#1 Newtfish

Newtfish

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 04:05 PM

Hello,

I have been looking at Japanese imports, and a lot of them come with 'fender' mirrors. Personally I'm not sure I like the look of these! Has anyone else purchased one and removed these? If so how has the hole been covered? 

Thanks in advance!

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 August 2022 - 02:15 PM

Wing mirrors were commonly fitted on cars including Minis in the UK in the 1960/70's until door mirrors became a standard fitment on most European cars. Holes left in the wings on removal would need a plate welded in the hole or a plate glued/bonded from below and skimmed over with body filler, both would require a local repaint.....unless you are willing to accept a simple blanking grommet or similar in the holes!

Why do some Japanese car mirrors seem to be fitted in weird places like the bumpers and wings?

https://www.asktheca...se-car-mirrors/

Edited by mab01uk, 11 August 2022 - 02:17 PM.

#3 jomaoliveira79

jomaoliveira79

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 09:03 PM

I know that my answer is not straight to your question but I wasn't also so keen about fender mirror until I bought a Riley Elf with a driver side fender torpedo mirror. I didn't liked the torpedo mirror and wanted to remove it, but the hole was surely a problem. Until I bought a pair o period TEX oval fender mirrors, and realized that particulary setup gave me a constant view of every angle. The looks is very 60's too. It's a pleasure to own a car with that setup.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:59 PM

If you have the convex glass versions on the wings they work quite well. We have a '98 JDM and I'd planned to remove them, but until I replace the wings or do some other major bodywork they're staying where they are!

#5 Newtfish

Newtfish

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for all your responses! They aren't a deal breaker, but I think I might have to live with them for a while (if I end up buying that one, I have two others to look at first) 🙂

#6 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 16 August 2022 - 09:37 AM

may be worth fitting plastic wheel arch liners too mirror and side repeater holes rot for fun in mini wings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users