10 replies to this topic

#1 Richard e

Richard e

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 11:41 AM

Can anyone advise a product that works to remove glue stains in the headlining - leaving the lining in situ - 1985 car - stains in patches around the edge. Ta in advance,

#2 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 11:52 AM

Have you tried a magic sponge?

#3 Richard e

Richard e

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 01:02 PM

Is that a thing or are you suggesting elbow juice?

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 01:57 PM

https://www.google.c...?q=magic sponge

what glue is it, perhaps the manufacturer gives some instructions about which solvents work best

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 August 2022 - 03:02 PM

Glue stains on the headlining were a standard feature of many brand new BL cars...probably worse if built on a Friday.  :lol:

Edited by mab01uk, 26 August 2022 - 03:03 PM.

#6 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 03:18 PM

I found out the hard way that you have to be careful about what chemicals you use on vinyl as it can go brittle and crack a few weeks/months down the road .

Factory standard glue stains means it`s original :)

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

Magic sponges are a real thing, though I've never found them to be that good. It could be the stain has come through the cotton backing on the other side of the vinyl, which would be really hard to remove. Also known tar anti-drum matting to bleed in to head linings when the roof's been baked by the sun.

#8 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 08:26 PM

I used to paint the headlinings in the car with emulsion paint using a small roller and a brush around the edges and it always looked great, probably far easier and more likely to work and not cause damage than trying to get paint off an old headlining by using chemicals and scrubbing at it.

As ever test the paint you are goind to use in a small location (like under a door rubber) to make sure it doesn't cause any unexpected problems.

#9 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:01 PM

I used to paint the headlinings in the car with emulsion paint using a small roller and a brush around the edges and it always looked great, probably far easier and more likely to work and not cause damage than trying to get paint off an old headlining by using chemicals and scrubbing at it.

As ever test the paint you are goind to use in a small location (like under a door rubber) to make sure it doesn't cause any unexpected problems.

I have used Leather and vinyl colourant on my roof lining applied with a sponge then sealed with a suitable sealant, you must give the roof lining a pre cleaning treatment before using these products but the finish is perfect. 

I think emulsion paint might crack and peel given time. Company called repair wizard on eBay will supply all you need.

Allan

Edited by Aly-g, 24 September 2022 - 09:14 PM.

#10 Cyclops63

Cyclops63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 09:57 PM

Very interesting, gents. I removed what was left of my headlining today and disvcovered that it was originally white then painted black..At the factory I presume?? It's certainly original and came froma 79  saloon in choclate pudding brown. Car came with replacement headlining set in black but I think I want Autumn Leaf instead so may source a suitable paint/dye/product to colour it. May need to go lighter first to get the Autumn Leaf to show well

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 November 2022 - 10:02 AM

Something to consider is it may not be glue but tar. Now this is age dependant but my 74 clubby had several stains that would not clean off. I ignored them as the car was going to be restored, so when the roof lining came off I found that the sound deadening patches had sagged due to age and were touching the roof li I got exactly where the stains were.

Food for thought.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: detailing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users