2 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun78

Shaun78

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:05 PM

Hi,still in process of restoring my 1978 moke looking at my gear linkage today,it needs a rebuild which shouldn't be a problem,but looking at the rods they are quite rusted but I hope useable,but if not are the mini linkages the same as mokes.thanks.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 October 2022 - 06:05 PM

As long as the part of the Rod that slides though the Bush on the Shifter Housing is clean and smooth, you should be OK.

Mini Rods are longer but you can make Moke Rods from them.

#3 tarnofsky

tarnofsky

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 09:16 PM

Hi,

Just like spider said: the important part is what's on the engine side and before the gearchange oil seal when you put the car in 2nd or 4th gear (i.e. when the selector shaft is fully pushed into the gearbox). anything before the seal must be smooth and shiny - else it will ruin the seal time and again. What's behind that seal towards the rear of the car just needs to be there and straight.
The link between the selector shaft and the shifter shaft is the same as on a Mini and can be pushed out with a suitable pin drift if you select reverse  and then start with the one on the gearbox side. Once that is out, drift out the one on the shifter shaft. In essence the link is like a sleeve over the two shafts and each shaft is fixed into it by a roll pin.

I hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users