5 replies to this topic

#1 Jibs

Jibs

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 03:59 PM

Hi guys, I am new to TMF and was hoping for some advice.

A bit of background, I have a 1991 Rover Mini 998 which I have recently had the engine rebuilt. I am a bit of an amateur home mechanic, but by no means a professional!!!! I refitted the engine and gearbox back together myself after having work on the cylinders. I have been running the engine back in slowly and done about 400miles so far with no issues, but recently has some issues. Firstly, it started to become more and more difficult to get into reverse when the engine was warmed up, I have been told this could be something to do with the oil being too thin! Secondly, and more concerning, the other day my clutch started slipping in third gear, so I have stripped out the clutch and found plenty of meat left on it, but found loads of brass filings around the end of the primary gear. I had replaced this primary gear with new old stock from Minisport along with new C clip. I believe I measured the end float correctly with a feeler guage based on measurements online etc. (Don't ask what it was, cannot remember and would have to look it up again!), but now the bush on the end of the primary gear has worn down to the shape of the C clip. I have attached a couple of pics, hopefully it can be seen. I don't understand why this has just started to happen after 400miles with no issues.
My questions are, why has this happened? and what do I need to do to resolve it? What did I do wrong?

I'm in the Kent area of UK, if this helps!

#2 Jibs

Jibs

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 04:01 PM

Also, how do I upload pics!!!!!

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 04:12 PM

Also, how do I upload pics!!!!!

Post your photos on Imgur and then use copy and paste to post the appropriate link for forums to this site.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 04:18 PM

I too had an issue with a new old stock primary gear from Minisport.  The problem I had was more due to tolerance on the crank tail itself rather than endfloat but here is the thread I started about it.  Hopefully that's of some help.

#5 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 04:57 PM

May be misreading what you've posted, but the c-washer should have a backing ring between it and the primary gear...

Edited by KTS, 09 October 2022 - 04:57 PM.

#6 Jibs

Jibs

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 05:06 PM

Yes, there is a backing ring between the C washer and primary gear, the bush on the end of the primary gears seem to have worn and shaped around the backing ring. This explains why I have the brass filings, but just don't know why this has happened. Have I measured the end float gap too large or too small!!!! I have put a second post with pics, not sure how to link this second post into this one!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users