10 replies to this topic

#1 Cyclops63

Cyclops63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:30 PM

Hello everyone, I'm Stewart from Glasgow and I've just taken pssession of a '79 850 saloon. This is my 3rd mini. My first car was a '71 van and about 20 years ago I had a Mk2 saloon which succumbed to tinworm and life circumstances: a massive regret. This "new" motor, needless to say has a bit of rust too but I'm better placed to deal with it this time round as I've got a pretty decent workshop and storage. The A-posts need replaced as do both wings which were butchered by an overenthusiastic boyracer type who had it previously and, before getting it on the road, added spacers, arches and lots of daft bits saying cooper. Ghastly. They're all being removed and thankfully the rear arches havent been adulterated. Phew. Engine runs, brakes work and most of the electrics seem to operate. It was originally that yuk chocolate-pudding brown that defines the 70's, then someone painted it a matt mid purple and , latterly a faux cooper green. Chequered roof. Personally I/mnot too worried about paintwork. A good solid reliable car comes first, then, when I'm totally happy with it, I'll give it a spray. By which time I'll have changed my mind about colour a dozen times... I am going to make a few chamges,however as I prefert the older stling. Wavy grille and moustache, lip off of bonnet and I have an original walnut dash from an Elf that I've been hoarding fro about 30 years. I've also still got the original AA and RAC badges from the 71  van. I've got a period cassette player and wil get a radio the same while hiding a bluetooth connection away somwhere. Although fo be honest, I find it moreenjoyable just listenig to the machinery. It's an Austin, so I'm sticking an old Mk1 Austin badge on the bonnet. May get an early boot lid too - I like them. Will get rid of the switchesand replace with rockers and, if I'm flush, I'd go for the light bulb indicator stalk. Foot operated high beam as an option. I'm going to stay with the 850 engine for now, especially with fuel prices. Don't know if the valves have been done for unleaded. So it's not going to be one for the rivet-counters. It's my idea of what a mini "is" (within my budget) and how I remember them. Period accesories mak abig difference. I like my classics to be "authentic" rather than "original" i.e. the sort of car that would have been driven at the time when folk weren't so precious rather than soeething that came out of a brochure and never left the forecourt. Although I like original too. Anyway, that s plenty for now. Will work out how to post pics etc and, if anyone's local, feel free to gimme a shout.

Cheers for now, Stewart

(I'm cyclops because I lost an eye to the rusty floor of a 71 mgbgt and a naughty grinder :wacko: )

#2 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 11 October 2022 - 11:09 PM

Hi Stewart, welcome to TMF, sounds like you have a busy workshop winter ahead of you ! I've got two mini's a 77 and a 79 done the usual rusty bits on the 79 then re-done the interior for my creature comforts, carpets, seats, walnut dash etc, the interior was the chocolate brown like yours so I had to change it , fitted rover 220 front seats , nice and comfy but can't recline them to much. reading about you losing your eye while working on a MG I had a similar  experience working on a MG back in the eighties, the evil angle grinder got me with a flying piece of rusty metal straight in my right pupil but lucky enough I kept my eyesight intact thanks to Moorfields eye hospital, a lesson learnt the hard Way eh ! good luck with the project, plenty of help on here if you need it.

Allan

#3 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 14 October 2022 - 08:20 AM

Welcome along from Aberdeen
Hope to see you on the road at a run soon...

#4 stuart milliken

stuart milliken

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 15 October 2022 - 10:45 AM

Hi Stewart welcome to tmf ! just a wee e mail to say hello and if you want a chat etc its good to know you live in Glasgow as i live in East Kilbride not far away and have a 1968 Cooper s mk 2 always be glad to have some advice on mechanics etc , keep in touch 

#5 Cyclops63

Cyclops63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:31 AM

Thanks Stuart. Would be lovely to catch up and see your car. Hoping to get my welding done this weekend, thenthat should  be me on the road nd I can discover any other "little" issues :-) I'm just behind Firhill Stadium but have a workshop in Port Dundas just off jct16 of the M8 if you're passing

#6 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 10:35 AM

Hello from a fellow Weegie mini owner!

#7 Nial81

Nial81

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 12:32 PM

Hello, good to have another in the Glasgow area. I'm in the south side and rarely see a mini on the roads.

#8 Cyclops63

Cyclops63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 10:04 PM

Greetings fellow weegies. I'm on the ruchill/firhill/possil border. Mini's getting welded next couple days then as soon as v5 arrives its on the road. Be great to catch up. Stewart

#9 J4 K3Y

J4 K3Y

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 10:18 AM

Good to see another local. I’m just down the road in Helensburgh and have a 99 mpi cooper. Would be good to meet some folk.

#10 Cyclops63

Cyclops63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 08:17 AM

Hi J4. Helensburgh will be lovely for b-road driving although the weather is turning against us now. Be grand to catch up though:-)

#11 stuart milliken

stuart milliken

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 10 September 2023 - 06:12 PM

Stewart you say your just behind Firhill does that mean you are born and bred in Maryhill like me ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users