12 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 08:36 AM

If any of you had the misfortune to read my post about calling a car a "cafe racer" now there seems to be a new term coming out of the good old US of A for a car that's unrestored body wise but has uprated mechanicals " Derelict " .it was bad enough people calling a car a motorbike, but to call a car by a building term just takes the biscuit. If someone tells me my Mini is derelict I think I might poke them in the eye with a pointy stick.

Shooter

#2 Gaz66

Gaz66

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 11:27 AM

Think I might do a bit of work on the derelict cafe racer today.

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 October 2022 - 12:59 PM

I've been working on my derelict cafe racer patinated project all weekend,turning it into a non runner in the process.Soon to be abandoned?barn find?It's is only words invented to " sex up" the whole dingy world of rusty tat.Steve..

#4 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 02:55 PM

I've been working on my derelict cafe racer patinated project all weekend,turning it into a non runner in the process.Soon to be abandoned?barn find?It's is only words invented to " sex up" the whole dingy world of rusty tat.Steve..

Steve do you have pictures and a price? Got a bit of FOMO

#5 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 17 October 2022 - 12:14 PM

Here are a couple pet peeves for me with my definition.

Restomod = really didn't want a classic so it's got fuel injection, cruise control, electric heated seats, tilt wheel, and aircon.

Ratrod = I'm too lazy to do the body work so I just clear coated the rust. 

Patina = I'm too lazy to polish, paint, or clean.

#6 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 17 October 2022 - 05:07 PM

If we are doing this. People who call an engine, a motor. Sorry pal. Very different

#7 Gaz66

Gaz66

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 06:49 PM

My retro derelict barn find heavily patinated cafe racer with modified motor wouldnt start today.....maybe the gasoline is old?
There ya go....shooters p*ss should be boiling now! Lol

Edited by Gaz66, 10 November 2022 - 04:40 PM.

#8 Cyclops63

Cyclops63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 09:05 PM

Ah yes, "cafe racer" :  in the motorbike world that tends to mean " I couldn't get hold of the right parts so I fitted this plastic crap off aliexpress instead so I could get rid of this piece of junk that's beenlying in my front garden for 7 years" It's almost but not quite interchangeable with "bobber" (shudder) which is another euphemism for "pile of sh!te I cobbled together out of the cheapest parts I could get on eBay" If this "upcycling" is particularly desirable, you may want to keep it in your "mancave" - THE worst word of them all.Imagine if the ladies had a "womankitchen"? what would Germaine Greer say ?(showing my age) In the mini world my owm personal bete noire is "cooper" Gawd, why has every bleedin' ad got to contain the word "cooper" even if it's for a fuse box for a Mary Quant?? I'm currently grinding off the "cooper" decals that boy racer previous owner attached to my 79 850. which most definitely had more to do with Tommy Cooper than John of that ilk. Patina, barn find, "rare", the list goes on,and on and on...... Perpetuated by yer Drew Pritchards and that ghastly Henry Cole balloon. Or even worse those two chancers from Car SOS - it's a bloody SOS alright if that fair-haired one happens to be in your postcode! 'Orrible. Now every prat that comes to view a "motor" you're selling is a fledgeling Mike Spewer, sorry Brewer and they are going to "bid you hard, mate"  "Bid" Off!! that's why I'd say to old cheeky, cockerney, artful dodgery, jellied eel-face Brewer. He's in the right place now, cross the pond, where they may be impressed by his Dickensian ragamuffin patter. So long Mike, don't hurry back. If anyone tries to"pimp" my "ride", they'd best be prepared to spend a couple of weeks removing buckshot from their rear end.....

#9 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 02 November 2022 - 06:15 PM

On the subject of 'what is a cafe racer', this is probably the best wikipedia article I have ever read - https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Café_racer

It puts to bed the idea that a car could be a 'cafe racer' once and for all. Maybe you might want to have a cafe racer 'Style', but a cafe racer is a motor bike from a certain era and post war culture and nothing else.

#10 Cyclops63

Cyclops63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 08:35 PM

#11 Mr Piggy

Mr Piggy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 09:50 AM

It's Cafe not Cafè. There was no such thing as a Cafè in the 60's.

#12 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:25 AM

I thought that they were "caffs"Steve..

#13 Cyclops63

Cyclops63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 08:25 AM

I think it's actually café but you're absolutely right, nobody bothered with the French pronunciation. Just like it was the Nestles milky bar kid who was big and tough(really?!?) Not the Nestlays one as we get now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users