Photo

Kelsey Closes Performance Mini Magazine (Formerly Modern Mini)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,809 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 October 2022 - 07:21 PM

Kelsey Publishers of 'MiniWorld' and 'Mini Magazine' are closing 'Performance MINI' magazine (formerly Modern MINI) with the Autumn 2022 issue:-
https://www.facebook...60250518987246/

In the last few months 'Mini Magazine' has started to feature several extra pages on early R50/53 MINI's in a Modern MINI section added to the back of the magazine now that early MINIs are a cheaper entry level buy than any classic Mini. 'Performance MINI' magazine subscribers are being automatically transferred to 'Mini magazine' or can cancel their remaining subscription for a refund.

'Modern MINI' magazine was originally brought out about 20 years ago by the publishers of 'Car Mechanics' magazine before becoming part of Kelsey publishing. In more recent years it became 'Performance MINI' magazine and in my view lost its way trying to cover the ever increasing number of different generations and versions of the MINI....so in the end only small parts of the magazine were relevant to owners of any particular 'generation'. ie. If you owned an R50/53 many of the pages on later generation of MINI were of little interest and vice versa.

Pi0ytdS.jpg

c8LEjAYl.jpg

#2 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 09:26 PM

I suppose this has been coming a while, after all they went bi-monthly some time ago. I’ve had a subscription from the start, but can’t honestly say I’ve ever truly warmed to it. Early doors it was full of errors, these got sorted but the interesting content always seemed hard to come by given the niche subject. As you say the many generations of cars meant a lot of it wasn’t relevant to me as an R50 JCW owner. Too many consumer type pages e.g buyers guides, living with… etc. And if I’m honest a lot of the feature cars did nothing for me, although as the cars have got cheaper the quality of modded cars improved.

As for the change in Mini mag, I’m not a fan to be honest. Even as an owner of Minis, and MINIs, I don’t want a mixed magazine. 

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,809 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 October 2022 - 10:38 PM

Mini magazine says one of the reasons for introducing the early R50/53 MINI's to the magazine is because these are now the 'entry level' cars for many Mini/MINI enthusiasts, due to the high prices of all classic Minis, even rough project cars needing major restoration work.

The editor also says the MINI features have been added as extra pages to Mini magazine so should have no impact on those who have no interest in modern MINI's.

Edited by mab01uk, 28 October 2022 - 08:51 AM.

#4 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 04:45 PM

To me that's like having no fences at an old firm Derby, you know how it's going to end.

Shooter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users