6 replies to this topic

#1 Java_Green

Java_Green

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 08:52 PM

I just started converting my A+ block to 11 studs when I paused and started thinking. At a start I was convinced that the conversion was the way to go (mainly based what I been told during the years) then I paused as I just entered the 2 holes, studied the block, and started analyzing it. Even though the extra stud at the waterpump is free from closest bolt hole for the pump by a small margin, I am not convinced that bolt 10 and 11 will do anything good. In fact, I must say that I am leaning towards the conclusion that mentioned bolt (I think the bolt outside cylinder 4 is fine) might even make the block less reliable, and that without improving the gas tightness of the cylinders.

What is your thoughts and experience?

Edited by Java_Green, 07 November 2022 - 08:54 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:29 PM

They were never added to the Metro Turbo.

#3 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 08 November 2022 - 12:02 AM

If nine studs and nuts cannot hold compression, then 1 extra stud and a low torqued holding bolt will not make any difference. Been running a HC 1275 for years with the nine studs and nuts with no problems at all.

#4 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 02:08 AM

Ive seen quite a few racing engines with the 5/16 bolt hole tapped out to 3/8 and a stud put in.
Two more studs has got to better surely?

#5 burchy35

burchy35

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 06:12 AM

I also only use 9 bolts, I have never had a head gasket go and I have forced induction 73.5 offset bored with plenty of poke. I put it down to using quality parts and machining and also been very well set up on the rollers.
I have only used A+ blocks though, I woukd be interested if it woukd of been different using an older A series block.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 November 2022 - 09:15 AM

They spent a fortune developing the A+. Revised the head studs, but didn't add any extra: even though they'd experience of doing it previously.

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:42 PM

Depends on your application really. a mildly boosted A series (13psi+) i'd definitely consider it. However most fast road NA applications, unless revving to the moon, don't need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users