73 replies to this topic

#16 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 08:45 PM

if you don't mind me asking how much did the laser cutting set you back. there's a couple of things I was thinking of getting done

keeping an eye on this interesting build, looks like good bit of fun

Hi Stuart, It will be entirely dependent on the material, size and how complex the shape is. The spring side plates are about 50mm x 100mm by 10mm thick and they cost around £3.60 each, but the company will give you a quote if you let them know what you want 

#17 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 09:35 PM

ok thanks that gives me enough of an idea for now, brilliant

I had considered it as an option before as we used to use a laser cutting company for metal plates at a fabrication company I used to do draughtsman work for, but that was larger orders of like 200+ at a time

I was wondering if small orders of 1 of 2 would be cost prohibitive due to one-off machine set up and so on, but apparently not

did you have to send them a DWG or just a hand drawn sketch, or what (sorry for the numerous questions)

Edited by stuart bowes, 11 April 2023 - 09:38 PM.

#18 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:15 PM

ok thanks that gives me enough of an idea for now, brilliant

I had considered it as an option before as we used to use a laser cutting company for metal plates at a fabrication company I used to do draughtsman work for, but that was larger orders of like 200+ at a time

I was wondering if small orders of 1 of 2 would be cost prohibitive due to one-off machine set up and so on, but apparently not

did you have to send them a DWG or just a hand drawn sketch, or what (sorry for the numerous questions)

Hi Stuart, I've sent them dxf files from LibreCAD a free cad package, and they will check to make sure it's right, but I'm planning to send them a PDF of a pencil sketch for the next work so hope that will be OK. Regarding the quantities I had quite a few cut because I wanted some spares as my welding is not very good and there's a couple of similar designs. there will also be postage which can be expensive based on size and weight - cheers Darren

#19 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 08:39 PM

Had some time this weekend after dodging the rain and got a chance to use my new router to start on the steering wheel. Never used one before so didn't have high expectations, but please with how it's coming on and I've still got 10 fingers

I'm making the rim out of ply as a first attempt and may wrap it in twine and use it, if it looks OK

Attached File  steering wheel rim1.jpg   136.17K   0 downloads

Attached File  steering wheel rim4.jpg   156.61K   0 downloads

Attached File  steering wheel rim2.jpg   158.5K   2 downloads

Attached File  steering wheel rim6.jpg   176.06K   1 downloads

#20 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:03 PM

Ordered the leaf springs from Jones Springs https://www.jones-springs.co.uk/ as they aren't off the shelf and the should be ready in 4-5 weeks.

They said they'd take some photos of them being manufactured which'll be great, so hopefully be able to post something 

#21 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 07:51 PM

Have you looked at the Cyclekart website - some good builds on there that may help?

#22 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 08:20 PM

Have you looked at the Cyclekart website - some good builds on there that may help?

Cheers John, I'll take a look

#23 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 09:09 PM

I got a bit further with the steering wheel at the weekend, it's now glued and rubbed down

Attached File  IMG_9381.jpg   191.83K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9382.jpg   167.7K   0 downloads

and the question is do I bind it in string for that old school look?

Attached File  IMG_9383.jpg   171.82K   0 downloads

#24 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 11:29 PM

I’d give the wood few of coats of Tru-oil which is a gunstock oil therefore water resistant and then string it with the cotton based string soaking it in water first then leaving it or give it a few coats of the oil to stop it picking up sweaty hand gunk and discolouring quickly.

#25 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 08:19 PM

I’d give the wood few of coats of Tru-oil which is a gunstock oil therefore water resistant and then string it with the cotton based string soaking it in water first then leaving it or give it a few coats of the oil to stop it picking up sweaty hand gunk and discolouring quickly.

Cheers Chris I'll have a look at Tru-oil for the wood to protect it, but I'm keen to make the steering wheel look old so will be destressing the string, probably with paint and not sweaty hand gunk  :D

Edited by JDImini, 10 May 2023 - 08:22 PM.

#26 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 09:40 PM

Cut the frame today and laid it out

Attached File  IMG_9387.jpg   191.01K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9388.jpg   218.86K   0 downloads

just got to get the metalwork sorted next

#27 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:21 PM

Hi Chris, meant to ask why you suggested soaking the string in water before wrapping the rim? Cheers Darren

#28 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 11:31 PM

If you wrap it round with wet string and wrap it tight making sure the coils are pressed tightly together when it dries it dries really tight. You need to give the wood a couple of coats of the oil as I mentioned to stop the wet string penetrating the plywood as even exterior plywood doesn’t react well with water and make sure you start with a piece of string long enough to do it in one hit. Finish after the last turn by passing the string at the back of the wheel under at least 10/15 coils with a needle and start at the bottom of the wheel as your hand rarely touches the bottom section so you’ll never feel the slight bump of the finishing string under the coils.

Edited by Chris1275gt, 16 May 2023 - 11:40 PM.

#29 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 12:35 PM

One thing I’ve just noticed is the aluminium is embedded in the wheel now if using string how will you be able to overcome the problem of making it look good around the spokes?

Edited by Chris1275gt, 17 May 2023 - 12:35 PM.

#30 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 17 May 2023 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

A couple of ideas to overcome that are :-

1 How about four pieces of leather, of the appropriate colour to match the colour of the frame, shaped and stuck to the timber at the end of each spoke. The string can then be fitted between these pieces of leather. A backing piece may be required so the leather finishes the same height as the string. This will not be seen as the string will hide it.

2 A little harder to do instead of leather how about removing the plywood at the end of the spokes and replacing with a nice piece of hardwood (oak, sapele, ash for example). This being shaped the same as the sections removed but very slightly thicker than the thickness of the string. Once everything is in place that extra thickness can be sanded down to the same level as the string. The timber can be stained/painted to match the colour of the frame. If you do not want do sand the timber down test run a string wrap on a straight piece of timber the same diameter as the wheel rim. Once the string has dried out you can then measure the new diameter of the rim and make the new timber sections to match exactly.

Love what you are doing.

Regards Paddy

Edited by Designer, 17 May 2023 - 02:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users