15 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:53 AM

I'd de interested to find out people's views on this subject, personally I don't like the idea, to me the fun of owning a classic car is that its just that, a classic car with all its faults, will it start, will it stop, what the hell is that rattle/knock/clunk sort of thing, I don't see the point of doing it apart from the " look at me and what I've done, aren't I clever" sort of crap, which to be honest I do not think impresses anybody. I know a person who used to be evolved with a company that carries out EV conversions on classics, they had a series 1 E type in to be converted, the owner said it was to save on the ULEZ charge which to me was mad ( I must admit i would have thought it would be exempt?) , you have the money to buy one £250,000.00 but can't afford the £12.00 a day what ever it is. The green bit doesn't add up either as the Co2 has already been spent on the initial build back in the day, now people are just adding to pollution by the additional materials needed.

Shooter

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:45 PM

the CO / CO2 issue is still partly a problem though isn't it, in that the engine is belching out fumes everywhere it goes, with a tiny engine like a mini it's not such a drama but the E type engine is somewhat larger, what is it, a 5ltr V12 running on 6 Webers or something, not like some efficient fuel injected system

then again with electric you have to question which power station did the juice come from, because they're not all nice clean nuclear / wind / wave etc supplies (but they could be, in the future..)

yeah the cost of paying Ulez shouldn't be a drama for someone who can afford it.. 

then again the flipside is, anyone who spends a qtr of a million on a car is well within their rights to do whatever they want with it, surely

some people like the clanky fun less reliable yet nice sounding and probably more exciting more engaging older car (me too) but some like the linear power curve of the electric motor (im not convinced yet) and when they say 'it pulls like a train' they actually mean it literally.

swings and roundabouts, horses for courses, one mans trash is another mans gold, however you want to put it

I think personally, however much I might need to struggle to get used to the idea, and how much I need to change my own mindset, for the good of humanity we do need to all go electric, we might be able to keep a few petrol motors here and there for fun and promise to use them under limited mileage regulations or something, but at the end of the day, no one can dispute that fossil fuels are already becoming part of history, that's just how it is 

now for me the question that remains is, if you convert a classic car to electric, does it keep enough of it's essence to be worth the effort, is it still enough the same to be worth the bother.. I dunno.  it's like when I went from smoking to vaping, in the end it just didn't hit the same spot, and I just gave it all up (which to be fair was the whole point but it's a similar sort of thing)

Edited by stuart bowes, 11 November 2022 - 12:57 PM.

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:59 PM

Perhaps if we bought less tat that advertisers tell us we need we could all heat our homes and run our cars?Controversial?possibly,Steve..

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 01:01 PM

it's not just the engine either, it's the gearbox

for me, if it doesn't have a clutch, and a proper manual gear stick (not those daft flaps) and you can't mess about with heel toeing, blipping on down changes etc then it's not a 'fun' car

if that's the case it may as well be left in full auto, two pedals, a nice comfy seat, a silent engine and plenty of space in the back for kids and luggage etc. and that being the case I wouldn't care less if it's petrol or electric

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,809 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 November 2022 - 06:33 PM

40 year old Historic tax exempt classic cars like a V12 E-Type (including Tax exempt Minis) are exempt from the London ULEZ charges.

All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ:-

https://tfl.gov.uk/m...#on-this-page-6

Of course once the number of electric vehicles reaches a certain level on the roads they will be taxed in the same way petrol and diesel vehicles currently are....the government of the day will still need to raise the same levels of tax from motorists which is not in any case used exclusively for the maintenance of roads.....despite some still calling it 'road tax'.

Edited by mab01uk, 11 November 2022 - 06:41 PM.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,809 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 November 2022 - 06:46 PM

Clearly, as there are no tailpipe emissions, electric cars are better for the environment than other options. However, that does not mean they are completely carbon neutral, as manufacturers might like you to believe.

Electric cars indirectly cause emissions from the following:

Manufacture

Making electric cars uses a lot of energy. Scientific studies have shown that manufacturing an electric vehicle generates more carbon emissions than building a traditional car. They need to be light, which means manufacturing high-performing metals. Factories use vast amounts of energy and often produce huge levels of greenhouse gas emissions.

The Union of Concerned Scientists has calculated that:

Manufacturing a mid-sized EV with an 84-mile range results in about 15 percent more emissions than manufacturing an equivalent gasoline vehicle. For larger, longer-range EVs that travel more than 250 miles per charge, the manufacturing emissions can be as much as 68 percent higher.

Energy source

Electric cars are only as green as the energy you charge them with. As a majority of the UK’s electricity comes from non-renewable sources, your car will have indirectly generated carbon emissions before you even get in it and drive.

Battery recycling

Electric cars have huge chemical batteries and research is still ongoing for a low-energy, environmentally friendly way to recycle them.

At the moment, recycling lithium-ion car batteries is long-winded and inefficient. In some cases, a battery is shredded and separated into its components, where some materials such as metal may be able to be reused. Or, if it may still hold some charge, it is frozen in liquid nitrogen and smashed into bits. It is estimated that only 20% of the materials can be reused after these processes.

https://www.thegreen...-electric-cars/

Edited by mab01uk, 11 November 2022 - 06:48 PM.

#7 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 07:03 PM

If I won the lottery I'd stick a couple of tesla motors in my van,what a hoot that would be to drive

#8 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 07:32 PM

Small point if you don't mind guys, a series 1 E Type was a 3.8 straight six the series 3 had a V12 with hideous stromberg carbs

Shooter

#9 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 11 November 2022 - 09:03 PM

If I won the lottery I'd stick a couple of tesla motors in my van,what a hoot that would be to drive

Many of those protest have never drove a p100d either, one day it’s the future 👍

#10 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 14 November 2022 - 01:11 PM

agree with some of the points but "in my opinion" is used alot, surely it's up to the owner what they do or want to do to their vehicle. elctric conversions now are just like fitting different engines in the past but a modern option. if you don't like vastly modifying a car then surely you don't like rear engine conversions for the same reason. as for enviromental issues yes they are only green at point of use but pollution in congested areas is the current issue. you always get people proud of what they have done or had done it's called the show scene!

#11 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 09:46 PM

Perhaps if we bought less tat that advertisers tell us we need we could all heat our homes and run our cars?Controversial?possibly,Steve..

Controversial? No, sensible.

#12 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 15 November 2022 - 02:11 AM

Electric vehicles are so good that governments all over the world feel the need to legislate to implement the sales and to end the manufacture of IC vehicles.
Glad they have so much confidence in EV.

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,423 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 02:18 PM

It's more that we can't go on driving cars that emit CO2 & other pollutants, surely? The concept of private powered transport is no older, so it's not just IC we could revaluate.

40 year old Historic tax exempt classic cars like a V12 E-Type (including Tax exempt Minis) are exempt from the London ULEZ charges.

All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ:-

https://tfl.gov.uk/m...#on-this-page-6

Of course once the number of electric vehicles reaches a certain level on the roads they will be taxed in the same way petrol and diesel vehicles currently are....the government of the day will still need to raise the same levels of tax from motorists which is not in any case used exclusively for the maintenance of roads.....despite some still calling it 'road tax'.

Looks like it's set to be at the next opportunity. I'm not convinced it's the best way to go though...

Road Tax has drivers paying costs up front. So, when they have the option to use less polluting & congesting public transport instead a good chunk of the financial incentive is absent from their cost comparison for that journey. If we want people to make the best choices, we have to enable them to make fair comparisons.

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,423 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 02:31 PM

"They ain't making 'em any more" is the central premise.

If they continue to be driven they will eventually wear out, but they're a collection of components some of which are easier to replicate than others. 

If you replace an engine with an electric motor you haven't lost the car, you've saved an engine from wearing out. It seems to me you can't be in favour of driving classics on the road and be against converting them, unless the conversion causes permanent  destruction of some original components.

#15 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 03:28 PM

Some days natural gas produces half our electric.Ships and aircraft would be my first cull.Oh No jobs lost etc etc no foreign fruit n veg,no foreign cars.We had better have lots of government ministers and hangers on flying to far away lands to discuss it.Call me cynical.
Thing need addressing so how about only one type of car,TV,fridge etc and make them infinately repairable.Oh No,jobs,economy etc.No one size fits all solution.Sorry to rant and ramble,Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users