9 replies to this topic

#1 KJM

KJM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 08:49 AM

I narrowly lost out on an ebay auction for some minivation hinges and still on the look out for some... unfortunately they are very few and far between!

Ideally the v2.5 type, new and used considered - has any got a set available? 

Thanks!

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:16 AM

Contact Ben as he is bringing them back.

#3 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 13 December 2022 - 04:07 PM

I narrowly lost out on an ebay auction for some minivation hinges and still on the look out for some... unfortunately they are very few and far between!
Ideally the v2.5 type, new and used considered - has any got a set available? 

Thanks!

But the price of £ 84.00 plus postage of £10.00 I think I would rather bang my head !!

Allan

#4 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 07:32 AM

How do we contact Ben? Was he originally something to do with Minivation?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 December 2022 - 07:39 AM

How do we contact Ben? Was he originally something to do with Minivation?

Correct. He is Minivation.

#6 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the extremely fast response!

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,901 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 14 December 2022 - 02:07 PM

There was a thread on one of the mini FB groups and there is a chance that Ben may start up again but he does have other priorities in his life at the mo.

I will say this, i have the updated Clubby hinges with the modification to the damper mounts to prevent the bonnet corners from lifting. However i did bend one hinge quite easily and damaged the pins (Something i will look into modifying when i get the chance) so my warning here is they can be damaged quite easily if you force anything.

Ben did send me a replacement prior to production stopping. 

Dont get me wrong, i love them but be careful if you get some (second hand) that the pins are not damaged.

#8 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 17 December 2022 - 11:15 AM

i've actually got a new set sat in my garage that I'm in two minds whether to fit or not.

#9 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 24 December 2022 - 11:38 AM

There was a thread on one of the mini FB groups and there is a chance that Ben may start up again but he does have other priorities in his life at the mo.

I will say this, i have the updated Clubby hinges with the modification to the damper mounts to prevent the bonnet corners from lifting. However i did bend one hinge quite easily and damaged the pins (Something i will look into modifying when i get the chance) so my warning here is they can be damaged quite easily if you force anything.

Dont get me wrong, i love them but be careful if you get some (second hand) that the pins are not damaged.

Interesting - I'm still running the first of the alternative mounting brackets (the prototypes went to Ben's museum) which were knocked up by us in the wee small hours one night in 2014, and have never bent anything.  How did you manage to bend it ?

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,901 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 December 2022 - 01:48 PM

[quote name="Vipernoir" post="3735163" timestamp="1671881902"][quote name="sonikk4" post="3734672" timestamp="1671026855"]

[/quote]

Interesting - I'm still running the first of the alternative mounting brackets (the prototypes went to Ben's museum) which were knocked up by us in the wee small hours one night in 2014, and have never bent anything. How did you manage to bend it ?[/quote

Stupidity basically and completely my fault but it did bend with relative ease. The pins are a weak point and I wish they could be threaded in for ease of replacement but the thickness of the plate is the issue.

However I now take care when opening the bonnet and everything is fine. As I said it was my stupidity that caused the issue and not detracting from the fact they are a nice piece of kit and by god they stop me from crowning my swede.

Any idea what grade of stainless the hinges were made off. We have some stainless plate steel at work ( would need to look at the grade but probably half hard stainless) and was thinking of using that to replace the damaged piece. But I have got to find the hinge as everything was packed up for the move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users