Photo

Mpi - Rear Shock Replacement

Best Answer RWD3M , 19 December 2022 - 02:22 PM

Well, you were all right, just as easy to remove the tank!

All done now so again, many thanks for the advice.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RWD3M

RWD3M

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 03:57 PM

Hi All,

I don't come here very often, primarily as our (read Mrs RWD3M!) Mini rarely gives any trouble.

Recently however, one of the rear shocks has failed so I need to replace them. my question is, do I really need to completey remove the fuel tank (as Mr Haynes would have me believe) to access the N/S shock top mount or can it just be loosened and pulled to one side to gain access?

Granted I'm not particularly optimistic but though it would be worth asking :)

Regards,

Richard.

#2 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:48 PM

I managed to change my dampers on my carburettor car by moving the fuel tank towards the centre of the boot without disconnecting it.

I filled the spare wheel well to create a larger level surface to support the tank.

When I refitted the tank I checked and double checked that the fuel pipes hadn't split with moving the tank.

A word of caution though. I believe an MPi has multiple fuel pipes and a more complicated setup which may make spinning the tank around a litle more difficult or even not advisible perhaps someone could confirm that.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 15 December 2022 - 04:55 PM.

#3 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 05:02 PM

It can be done without removing/moving the petrol tank, just requires a multi-tool... (can not guarantee there are no pipes in the way on injection cars)

HU0zKiJ.jpgP6C6ABD.jpg

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,814 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 15 December 2022 - 05:32 PM

It can be done without removing/moving the petrol tank, just requires a multi-tool... (can not guarantee there are no pipes in the way on injection cars)

They did exactly that on the BMC Works Minis to enable quick and easy access to the top shocker mounts for the mechanics during a rally, small access panels on both sides of the rear seat bulkhead (for twin petrol tanks).

Edited by mab01uk, 15 December 2022 - 06:48 PM.

#5 RWD3M

RWD3M

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 09:48 AM

HU0zKiJ.jpgP6C6ABD.jpg

Thanks for the pics Alex, I like the concept but will leave it until I do the reshell (probably only a couple of years away). In the meantime I'm going to try removing the clamp and tilting the tank inwards. I'm fairly dextrous (a career in aircraft maintenance!) and hopefull I may be able to reach though if I'm honest, I still expect to have to remove the tank completely.

Appreciate the tips above, many thanks to all.

#6 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 16 December 2022 - 10:30 AM

They did exactly that on the BMC Works Minis to enable quick and easy access to the top shocker mounts for the mechanics during a rally, small access panels on both sides of the rear seat bulkhead (for twin petrol tanks).
That's exactly what I did on my old rally mini, but found that removing the tank is not that hard to do providing the tank is empty of fuel, I can't say what a injection would be like though it is only an extra pipe I believe, I would also remove the battery if removing the tank, fuel fumes and electricity don't mix to well.

Allan

#7 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 10:32 AM

By the time youve fiddled trying to shift it a bit, its far easier to just remove it. Its easier than you may think.

#8 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:26 PM

Hi, the only thing I would say is if you intend to do it with the tank in the car make sure it doesn't have a lot of fuel in it as any leak from the tank in the boot could find it's way into the interior of the car

#9 RWD3M

RWD3M

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 12:10 PM

Hi all,

Thanks again everyone. Advice taken and I'm just draining the tank down now.

Battery is also out as apart from anything else, it seems to be the wrong one (terminals on the same side as the clamp which surely can't be right, can it?). I'll have a rummage around the Forum to find the answer to that problem! :)

#10 RWD3M

RWD3M

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 02:22 PM   Best Answer

Well, you were all right, just as easy to remove the tank!

All done now so again, many thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users