#1 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 07:21 PM

I have rebuilt an old turbo engine 1275 rebored 20 though  with 8:35 ratio

I am using a old rebuilt T3 unit been in a box for years and an old exhaust downpipe.

After the initial start for the first time it ran straight of the first turn of the key. I let it run for about 5 minutes at about 1500 - 2000 revs and I noticed a good amount of blue smoke coming from the exhaust is this normal?? I turned it off as i didnt want to run it for 20 minutes if this wasnt normal during the break in period.

It could possible be the T3 as its been sitting for awhile or is it just the oil burning away from what is in the bores and around the pistons rings ect?? If so how long will it take before this blue smoke starts to dissappear??

Thanks

Ally

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 December 2022 - 01:17 PM

Could be anything, but I wouldn't be too worried if it's only done a fast idle for 5 minutes and the only issue is the smoke. 

Plug fouling, temperature, oil & boost (if any) pressures may give a clue as to what's likely.

#3 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'll jump out again tomorrow and do a compression test and run it for 20 minutes at 2000rpm its sitting at 6 BTDC at the moment.

I have a temp gauge and oil pressure gauged wired up so i can keep an eye on that whilst its running.

Hopefully im just being over cautious and its oil I used on parts when building. 

Once done I'll tune using strobe and set to no more than 28 degress total advance at 5000rpm, keeping it safe enough until i get it into the car and away for a rolling road.

I do have some luxary tools used to help gunson colortune, gas tester and strobe gun.

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 24 December 2022 - 09:53 AM

Is it fresh rebore and hone? If so, it will until the rings bed in.

#5 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 05:09 PM

Is it fresh rebore and hone? If so, it will until the rings bed in.

Yeah it is.

Just a update, the blue smoke has finally stopped.
Just need to set the timing with a strobe and have noticed its running very very rich using the colortune.

I'll sort it all after Xmas antics but thanks for the replies, maybe just a little bit to quick off the mark with worrying.

Wish you a merry Xmas too.

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 25 December 2022 - 10:16 AM

Until you know you can get it to run leaner, i wouldn't start it. A rich mixture during the bed-in process will ruin your rings. Ideally you need to go and put load on the engine for 50 miles to bed it in, but you will need the mixture to be right first.

#7 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 02:16 PM

Until you know you can get it to run leaner, i wouldn't start it. A rich mixture during the bed-in process will ruin your rings. Ideally you need to go and put load on the engine for 50 miles to bed it in, but you will need the mixture to be right first.

Had a wee nosey this morning and took the carb off to have a look the float is full of petrol, everything else looked good. Its had a rebuild but the float was never renewed at the time. I guess this could be a cause of being to rich.

Awaiting on parts and see what happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users