Photo

Smart Motorways Drive Away Classic Car Owners?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 December 2022 - 09:25 AM

Classic car owners are taking detours to avoid smart motorways for fear of being hit from behind while stopped in live lanes.
Drivers of cars older than 25 years said motorways without a hard shoulder have ‘too many risks’ because their vehicles’ age makes them particularly susceptible to breaking down.
AA chief Edmund King said the Government and National Highways should ‘go back to the drawing board’ and return the inside lane of all-lane-running smart motorways to being a hard shoulder.
Alan Hames, who was a highways engineer for more than 50 years before retiring, said he takes detours to avoid smart motorways when driving his 1972 Jaguar E-Type. He added 26 miles to a return trip from his home in Northamptonshire to a recent car event in London by using the M40 – which has a hard shoulder – rather than the M1, which does not.
Breaking down on a smart motorway ‘brings too many risks for classic car owners’, the 80-year-old said. ‘I know many other classic car owners who take long detours to avoid these deadly smart motorway death traps. At least a hard shoulder gives drivers the option of getting to relative safety.’
Gaynor Cauter, editor of Jaguar Driver magazine, said: ‘I hear regularly from drivers of Jaguars – classic and modern – who are so frightened of breaking down on smart motorways that they make every effort to avoid them, and I include myself in that number,’ she said.
‘However, on some journeys, they are almost impossible to avoid.’
https://www.dailymai...car-owners.html

#2 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:10 AM

I just avoid motorways, smart or otherwise I don’t have any wish to use them and it’s nothing to do with my faith in my van, it’s about driving enjoyment.

#3 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:24 AM

Smells like a 'straw man' story to justify legislation to keep older vehicles from using motorways.

I see many vehicles less than five years old 'broken down' on roads and motorways.

According to AA breakdown mechanics, the majority stem from poor basic maintenance.

I'd like to think the percentage of 'classic owners' who don't check oil, water and tyre pressures/condition is much, much smaller than the average bunny in a 'modern' car.

Let's face it, the manufacturers appear to (correctly?) think 'modern' drivers don't have the wits to turn on their vehicle's lights or windscreen wipers.

#4 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:51 AM

I used to drive nearly 2000 miles a week in my truck all over the UK before the stupid money saving idea by the government of so called smart motorways, they were a good and fast way to get where you wanted to go but now I consider them very dangerous roads to travel on, there is no way for emergency services to get to a accident because the road is totally blocked, a lot of drivers do not take any notice of the signs that tell you a breakdown has occurred and the lane is blocked. These roads used to be the safest roads, not any more,
statics are used to say they are but we all know statistics can be used any way to suit the powers that be. I won't use stupid dangerous motorways since the removal of the hard shoulder .

Allan

#5 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:08 AM

Smells like a 'straw man' story to justify legislation to keep older vehicles from using motorways.

What legislation?

#6 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:36 AM

What legislation?

Most government legislation, including brexit, appears to have been based on "scare stories" printed in the Daily Mail.

Even Wiki don't trust it:

https://www.theguard...rce-for-website

#7 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:40 AM

Ah I see, I missed the irony.

#8 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:06 PM

I use them all the time.Gotta die of something.Steve..

#9 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:17 PM

First trip out in the Mini after the (first) resto about fifteen years ago I was driving down to the New Forrest and the car conked out on what I think was the first section of the smarty pants M'ways. The car just died as it went dark and all electrics failed so no lights or hazards. I've got to say the inside lane/hard shoulder was isolated within a few seconds and the traffic filtered passed me, I guess there were plenty of eyes on that section so they reacted quickly. I still don't like them though,

#10 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 28 December 2022 - 02:34 PM

This is also now true for electric cars.

They boast their range As being 200+ miles, which is fine in summer. In the winter their range is dramatically reduced due to heated rear windows heatersblowing full power, heated seats, etc...

Know of dozens of electric cars that have these issues and run out of charge at the side of the road.

The recovery services can not just tow them out the way due to their unique motor/power generation systems...

Again i find myself repeating the story of an owners manual for a 1960's car showing how to set points and spark plug gaps..

These days the new car manuals suggest do not drink battery acid.

No logic.....

#11 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 03:58 PM

Know of dozens of electric cars that have these issues and run out of charge at the side of the road.

Again i find myself repeating the story of an owners manual for a 1960's car showing how to set points and spark plug gaps..

These days the new car manuals suggest do not drink battery acid.

Parts of this post remind me of the subject matter in a post from a week-10 days ago…

#12 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 04:45 PM

I know I'm going to regret this, sods law and all that, but I've got to admit I don't even think twice about going on any sort of road with either of our minis although my poxy 850 gets on my tits due to the lack of power ( but changes are being made in that department). Both are well maintained with electronic ignition and decent fuel filters etc, why should a car breakdown just because its old, its just badly maintained cars that tend to stop, or cheap crappy parts which I try to avoid. Major things to stop you tend to let you know before they finally crap out, ie a slight misfire, a bit of holding back,a rumble from a bearing etc.I think there's a HT coil, spare ignition box etc in the boot but touch wood we've never needed them, I'm not sure if it's an age thing but I've always done weekly checks on cars, just the basics, oil,water,fuel filter,brake fluid levels etc.
Do I think smart motorways are good, nope, do I think smart motorways are dangerous yup, but they aren't going to stop me from going where I want to.

Shooter

#13 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 December 2022 - 04:50 PM

My recent M1 trip saw half a dozen breakdowns,all with punctures.Steve..

#14 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 28 December 2022 - 05:13 PM

I'm not too worried about motorways, so long as I'm not heading into the wind.

On a level plain with both doors open, one can go a long way with a stiff breeze behind you.

#15 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 29 December 2022 - 09:39 AM

how is breaking down wosre with an older car! if you conk out on a smart motorway it's dangerous no matter what car you're in. modern cars die and you loose steering so if not near left you're in ****

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users