Photo

Smart Motorways Drive Away Classic Car Owners?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:12 AM

What is the problem anyway?according to the latest government TV go left ads you only break down right next to a yellow refuge.Steve..

#17 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:22 AM

how is breaking down wosre with an older car! if you conk out on a smart motorway it's dangerous no matter what car you're in. modern cars die and you loose steering so if not near left you're in ****

That's not what it said.

Drivers of cars older than 25 years said motorways without a hard shoulder have ‘too many risks’ because their vehicles’ age makes them particularly susceptible to breaking down.

#18 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:49 AM

What is the problem anyway?according to the latest government TV go left ads you only break down right next to a yellow refuge.Steve..

OK. but they shut the motorway to film that.   What if it is already full of defective vehicles with families all waiting for "Just eat" to bring them a snack ?

#19 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 12:13 PM

how is breaking down wosre with an older car! if you conk out on a smart motorway it's dangerous no matter what car you're in. modern cars die and you loose steering so if not near left you're in ****

That's not what it said.

Drivers of cars, older than 25 years, said motorways without a hard shoulder have ‘too many risks’ because their vehicles’ age makes them particularly susceptible to breaking down.

That really is agest, to say that people over 25, either can't afford, or don't know how to drive new cars.

Edited by DeadSquare, 29 December 2022 - 12:14 PM.

#20 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 01:56 PM

OK. but they shut the motorway to film that.   What if it is already full of defective vehicles with families all waiting for "Just eat" to bring them a snack ?
Shattered my illusions in one post!Up till now I thought every Government ad was the whole truth and nothing but the truth.Oh how I have been received.Steve..

#21 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 05:52 PM

:D

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 12:21 PM

I too think it's more for political than practical reasons, but the target will be smart motorways rather than classic cars. There's obviously a section of classic enthusiasts with influence, enough to get to sidestep MoTs & road tax. I guess they're not concerned about the law of unintended consequences.

It does seem contrary, their  "special case" argument relies on Historics being too few in number for their exemptions to be statistically significant.

Since leccy cars are topical again:

Yes, they have shorter range, but I doubt they are really that more likely to be running close to empty, especially with the price of petrol & diesel. If you charge your car at home, you're doing it on credit, so there's no cash flow issue as well as no weight saving for you not to charge the batteries to at least 80%. Running out of juice also takes more effort in ignoring the warnings, and there's more you can do to extend your range - like freeze.

I can think of many other stretches of road that I'd fear breaking down on at least as much. If we take anything from the article, it's probably to be better prepared for the unthinkable - have a self powered beacon in a companion bin and a warning triangle, like what Johnny Foreigner does.

#23 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 01:29 PM

Life is full of risks,some you can control and some you cannot.It is up to each of us(government dependant?)to accept the level of risk they are comfortable with.Recent events show that you could be asleep in bed and your house blow up.Make your choices and try to enjoy the rest of your life.I am in the late afternoon of life and some risks I took in my youth now horrify me,Just rambling,Steve..

#24 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 01 January 2023 - 01:28 PM

I use them all the time.Gotta die of something.Steve..

Being flattened by a 40 ton artic wouldn't be my choice of dying though !

Allan

#25 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 01:51 PM

Shattered my illusions in one post!Up till now I thought every Government ad was the whole truth and nothing but the truth.Oh how I have been received.Steve..

You mean that smart meters don't reduce energy consumption? ( I just turn things off that I don't use )Diesel cars are the future ( the biggest con ever )just two of the most stupid government ads that wind me up ! , from now on I won't believe a thing they say is true, Steve you should be a stand up comic .

Allan

#26 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 02:11 PM

Diesel cars are the future ( the biggest con ever )

Surely that’s electric cars?

#27 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 09:07 PM

Diesel cars are the future ( the biggest con ever )

Surely that’s electric cars?

you are quite correct , nearly forgot about them , I've moved them to the top of the list , they are the biggest con ever which people will find out eventually , the government has  already announced road fund licence from 2025.

Allan

#28 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 10:51 PM

You mean that smart meters don't reduce energy consumption? ( I just turn things off that I don't use )Diesel cars are the future ( the biggest con ever )just two of the most stupid government ads that wind me up ! , from now on I won't believe a thing they say is true, Steve you should be a stand up comic .

Allan

Smart meters could reduce energy consumption by letting power generation be better matched to demand and some usage, especially industrial, managed to even out demand & reduce transmission losses.

Diesel cars were the future, just not a very long lived one - in developed countries. I suspect they'll be around for a while longer in other places, but the ability to make electricity anywhere the wind blows & the sun shines will ultimately bring even bigger benefits to places more remote than here.

#29 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 12:15 AM

You mean that SMART meters don't reduce energy consumption? ( I just turn things off that I don't use )

Allan

Please remember, that in this context, SMART is not a word, it is an ACRONYM.

Supplier  May  Arbitrarily  Reprice  Tariff,  ....  so, if you are smart, don't have one.

Edited by DeadSquare, 02 January 2023 - 10:37 AM.

#30 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 January 2023 - 10:37 AM

You mean that SMART meters don't reduce energy consumption? ( I just turn things off that I don't use )

Allan

Please remember, that in this context, SMART is not a word, it is an ACRONYM.

S upplier M ay A rbitrarily R eprice T ariff,  ....  so, if you are smart, don't have one.

Speaking to Express.co.uk Rebecca Armstrong, director, Mersey Eco Grants stated that it was understandable that people are worried because energy companies can remotely switch off supply using a smart meter, however, this is the “very last step”.......

Edited by mab01uk, 02 January 2023 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users