12 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:31 PM

Can anyone see any issues with the fuel filter I’ve recently fitted before I pop the tank back in and fill with fuel? Oh and what’s size is the breather supposed to be? As I’ve ordered some 3/16” fuel hose (Assuming that’s what I’ve been sent), but even with a hose clamp it still slides/can be pulled off.

Edited by 1984mini25, 14 January 2023 - 04:19 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,985 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:41 PM

No idea but here it is http://www.minispare...59.aspx|Back to

#3 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:47 PM

Personally I would locate the fuel filter in a more accessable and less susceptable to damage area, like in the engine compartment. This area lets  checking/ replacing the filter more easier than if it is mounted under the car. 

I can imagine if it is mounted under the car it would require new clips and hose every time its changed. 

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:34 PM

The only two places I could think of fitting it in the engine bay would be above the mechanical fuel pump, which is a pain to assess when changing over the pump. Or up by the carb, but I’ve also have the standard air box, exhaust warm air ducting and flappy valve thing taking up any available space.

I also wanted to fit it as close to that tank as possible because I have issues with rust and crap blocking the filter on the pick-up pipe inside the tank. So for now I’ve flushed through the tank as best I can removing a lot of the crap and sediment. Filled with a rust remover for the past week so should be good for a while till either I do a proper clean and sealing or find a tank in better condition.

Also while searching, all I could find were the spi/fuel injection or electric fuel pump set ups mounted much lower down on the same section of subframe.

#5 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:39 PM

thats the best place for them imho, its away from any electrical stuff and heat from the exhaust manifold. 

#6 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 12 January 2023 - 02:27 AM

The second time you have to pull the tank out to check the filter you will wish you hd put it in a more accesible place.

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 09:21 AM

Looks fine to me.
I don't think the vent pipe is a standard size and it not the usual fuel pipe - its quite stretchy and is a push fit only, it isn't normally clamped from what I remember. Nick has given you the correct link.

The second time you have to pull the tank out to check the filter you will wish you hd put it in a more accesible place.

Why would he need to pull the tank out to check the filter?

#8 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 09:42 AM

The only "pain" with that Filter location is

1) You can easilt see it to see if its dirty and / or needs changing, and in that loction the outside will get very dirty denying you a good look "inside" it

2) When you try to change it you will get a potential petrol bath

I have mine installed right up near the float chamber of the carb so it sits pretty much horizontal entering the top of the float chamber

It means I can easily see it and change it every time I check the Air filter

I have the old style non HIF SU on my 998 pickup

#9 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 09:43 AM

typo

You can easilt ----->

You cant easily see it

#10 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:59 AM

Looks fine to me.
I don't think the vent pipe is a standard size and it not the usual fuel pipe - its quite stretchy and is a push fit only, it isn't normally clamped from what I remember. Nick has given you the correct link.

Why would he need to pull the tank out to check the filter?

From what I’ve found it should be 3/16” or 4.8mm, and it looks like the hose I’ve been sent is 5.2mm being sold as 3/16”. I had been using a length of diesel injection hose that was a nice snug push fit, but the vented end under the car (not near the exhaust) had started to soften/melt assuming from the ethanol that’s now in the petrol.

This mini also lives in a dryish garage and only used during the summer, so dirt and lack of asses to the filter won’t be a problem. It’s also at standard ride height (it drives better) rather than being lowered so even I can slide my head under the rear valance for a quick look.

And as for the bath in fuel whenever the filter needs changing, obviously someone’s never tried clamping the fuel hose directly at the tank in the boot. And I’m not bothered about having to change hose clips (I consider them consumable) As someone has never tried to save a few pence on a new hose clip refitting a bottom hose to the radiator (which is a pita on a mini) and then finding the hose clip fails to tighten properly or strips....

#11 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 12:20 PM

Not a fan of clamping any hose to be honest, as it does tend to reduce the life of the hoses

#12 Miki Leyland

Miki Leyland

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 05:49 PM

I have it in the rear subframe, right after the tank. Easy to check under the car with a mirror or mobile and far from the engine bay and wiring (always been afraid of that little things braking into pieces)

Edited by Miki Leyland, 15 January 2023 - 05:49 PM.

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,498 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 January 2023 - 06:01 PM

I have it in the rear subframe, right after the tank. Easy to check under the car with a mirror or mobile and far from the engine bay and wiring (always been afraid of that little things braking into pieces)

I have mine in a similar position

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users